• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I finally went and got a 'big' truck for a daily driver.

DangerRanger~91

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2006
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet truck man.. I love the stacks!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I can't speak for the owner of this truck but my daily driver is a 2008 3500 cummins 6spd manual 4door long bed 4x4 drw. I drive it cause I can and like have a big truck to drive I get 16 to 20 mpg depending on how I drive it
Just seems like a colossal waste to me. To each their own.

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
Sure did. The only thing Dodge didn't do in a 3500 was an extended cab short bed.
This has been bugging me cause I really didn't think dodge ever made a single rear wheel 3500 in a 2nd gen body style. So I have been looking and I haven't found anything and I asked on a couple dodge forums and they are all saying its just rebadged and that there were no true 3500 single rear in a 2nd gen. This doesn't mean they are rite of course

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
Just seems like a colossal waste to me. To each their own.
How is it a waste I pull a trailer once a week atleast I bought the truck because I love the way duallies look and I love being able to pull almost anything I want

jackjroadster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010`
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
It's not a waste. Truck's in good condition and reliable,the exterior is awesome, and its functionality is undeniable but replacing the stacks would boost its look, a lot of dodge truck parts is available. You have a variety of choices.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
This has been bugging me cause I really didn't think dodge ever made a single rear wheel 3500 in a 2nd gen body style. So I have been looking and I haven't found anything and I asked on a couple dodge forums and they are all saying its just rebadged and that there were no true 3500 single rear in a 2nd gen. This doesn't mean they are rite of course
whats the title say? what kind of economy does it get unladen?

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
whats the title say? what kind of economy does it get unladen?

Not sure what his title says. My truck gets between 16 to 20 mpg unloaded depending how I drive.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nice truck but I agree on the stacks being gay. They always seem like the owners of those trucks wish they drove big trucks, and those of us who do drive the BIG trucks just laugh at them. lol

Ditch the stacks, get your bed back, and enjoy a great truck.

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
The truck is a true 3500 (1 ton). This particular truck wasn't a single rear tire truck factory. It had the bed swapped before I bought it. It was a dually and does have the dually spacers on it. The front end has spacers to bring the tires out to be aligned with the rears.

The truck gets a solid 17 MPG if I don't pay attention to how I drive it. Empty or loaded. I use it alot to pull trailers for hauling off scrap or delivering firewood.

I didn't install the stacks and was kind of unsure about them when I was looking at the truck, but it was about $3500 cheaper then the other ones I had looked and it was in better shape. The stacks do sound good and look pretty good rolling smoke out. I wouldn't install them in a truck myself, but I can live with them. I do drive a semi for work regularly and this isn't the same sound by anymeans, but it does sound pretty good.

So far, about 95% of the time I don't miss the bedspace the stacks take up considering I was used to a ranger bed before this it has alot of space.

If you have any other questions I will try to do my best to answer them.

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Stacks are fine I just can't stand the fact that I can't hear what I'm thinking when I am rolling down the road with the passenger window down but then again I don't have a muffler on a IDI so that could be part of the problem (among others).

88ranger2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Stacks are fine I just can't stand the fact that I can't hear what I'm thinking when I am rolling down the road with the passenger window down but then again I don't have a muffler on a IDI so that could be part of the problem (among others).
It is a little loud with the windows down, but with the windows up you hear the turbo more then the exhaust. Either way it isn't too bad. no worse then wind noise really unless you are speeding up quick.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
i always thought the stacks was so the smoke dont come blow in the window of the car driving next to u lol

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
The truck is a true 3500 (1 ton). This particular truck wasn't a single rear tire truck factory. It had the bed swapped before I bought it. It was a dually and does have the dually spacers on it. The front end has spacers to bring the tires out to be aligned with the rears.

The truck gets a solid 17 MPG if I don't pay attention to how I drive it. Empty or loaded. I use it alot to pull trailers for hauling off scrap or delivering firewood.

I didn't install the stacks and was kind of unsure about them when I was looking at the truck, but it was about $3500 cheaper then the other ones I had looked and it was in better shape. The stacks do sound good and look pretty good rolling smoke out. I wouldn't install them in a truck myself, but I can live with them. I do drive a semi for work regularly and this isn't the same sound by anymeans, but it does sound pretty good.

So far, about 95% of the time I don't miss the bedspace the stacks take up considering I was used to a ranger bed before this it has alot of space.

If you have any other questions I will try to do my best to answer them.

Ok that would make sense I just didn't think from the factory they made them.

LOGANSTANFORTH

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for stating that, I was about to tear into someone about this...

There was never a single rear wheel 3500 2ND GEN Dodge truck ever built, 1st and 3rd Gen's got them but not the 2nd Gen's, BUT, if you bought a 5 speed Cummins 2500 truck you got a Dana 80 rearend and that got you the closest to a single rear wheel 3500 as you could get, actually there really wasn't much difference between them mechanically except the dually features and a few other small things...There was also no short bed dually trucks from the factory EVER and until 2003 there was never a factory crew cab (4 forward opening doors) cummins truck ever built, dodge dropped the crew cab in 1986, and brought the cummins out in 1989...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals