• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are You Going To Preorder Or Purchase A New Ford Ranger?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I got a call from Michigan asking whether I know anyone that is going to pre-order a Ford Ranger, or at least purchase a new one when it hits the dealerships.

I do not want to see replies about the cost of the new Ford Ranger.

If you plan to pre-order a 2019 Ford Ranger, or purchase one when they hit the dealerships, please reply below. I'd also be interested in the configuration you're planning to purchase.

Thanks.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have the budget for it, but they are not offering a single cab short bed 4x4, which is what I would want.

I might consider the extended cab. We'll see when they show up on dealer lots.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I'd really like one. Trying to convince the wife we should buy a new one and 75% sure she's gonna show up with it as a present one day. If I'm spending that much I'm definitely going top of the line. Lariat FX4 in Sabre Orange.

lordtygr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Commit to the mistake!
I will be buying one once they hit the dealers but, not immediately. It will probably be up to 6 months before i buy. I was playing on the build tool last night and i think at the moment, i'm going for an XL 4x4 Supercrew with the FX4/STX packages added. But that may change once i do the Rangerdrive.com event in november.

dsltech83

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I want to drive one first.
I’m not a fan of the 10 speed in the F150, hope it shifts better in the ranger.
Also want to know gvwr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't if I could, I want to sit in one/drive one and hear some numbers (mpg, hp, tow rating) before I would preorder.

On most things the price comes down some a year or two after they come out too.

Basic XLT FX4. Tow package, electric start and bedliner. If the rubber floor was an option as it is on a XLT F-150 I would have checked it too.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am going to buy one but my current Ranger should have at least 3 years before I want to replace it as a daily driver. Even then, I may keep it for the roughest off-road stuff. I am not sure on the exact model of new Ranger I want yet but it must be very capable off-road. I am hoping they eventually put the small V-6 Ecoboost engine in the new Ranger because I really am not interested in a 4 cylinder engine.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'll never buy one if they don't offer a real standard cab WITHOUT the auto-start-stop technology.

No hybrid technology.
No auto engine shut down tech.
No built-in navigation or GPS of any kind.
No speed-sensitive radio volume.
No sync technology.
No wifi.
No "link" button to contact Ford or some third party security company.
No electric seats.
No heated or cooled seats.
No electric rear window.
No soft open tailgate.
No back-up camera.
No parking sensors.
No auto-braking tech.
No parallel parking assistance.
No fake skid-plates for appearance purposes.
No plastic "bumpers"
No rain sensing wipers.
No intelligent access or push button start.
No satellite radio.
No keyless entry.
No $750 per month payment.

Just an actual standard cab short bed, 4x4, manual transmission, manual transfer case, vinyl floor, cloth seats, Eco-Boost V6 or turbo-diesel, with no frills. No power windows. No power locks. No power mirrors. No power seatbelts. No sunroof. No "big brother" features reminding me to do anything or chiming in my ear.

In other words, less soccer mom features and more real truck features that guys like me desire. Simplicity and affordability is key for me.

GB :)

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll never buy one if they don't offer a real standard cab WITHOUT the auto-start-stop technology.

No hybrid technology.
No auto engine shut down tech.
No built-in navigation or GPS of any kind.
No speed-sensitive radio volume.
No sync technology.
No wifi.
No "link" button to contact Ford or some third party security company.
No electric seats.
No heated or cooled seats.
No electric rear window.
No soft open tailgate.
No back-up camera.
No parking sensors.
No auto-braking tech.
No parallel parking assistance.
No fake skid-plates for appearance purposes.
No plastic "bumpers"
No rain sensing wipers.
No intelligent access or push button start.
No satellite radio.
No keyless entry.
No $750 per month payment.

Just an actual standard cab short bed, 4x4, manual transmission, manual transfer case, vinyl floor, cloth seats, Eco-Boost V6 or turbo-diesel, with no frills. No power windows. No power locks. No power mirrors. No power seatbelts. No sunroof. No "big brother" features reminding me to do anything or chiming in my ear.

In other words, less soccer mom features and more real truck features that guys like me desire. Simplicity and affordability is key for me.

Actually a lot of that aside from cab/bed config and manual powertrain is optional or easy to disable. Aside from the $750 payment anyway. :no2:

FWIW I was impressed with the front skidplate, it is rather substantial, like 3/16-1/4" thick.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
This is a list I can get behind.

All of the power and automatic features are nice... until they stop working, and then they are a nightmare to fix.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

All of the power and automatic features are nice... until they stop working, and then they are a nightmare to fix.
Power windows, locks and mirrors for me.

It is nice to be able to move the mirrors on the fly if the sun or some idiot with their highbeams is behind you.

But that is about it, throw in cruise and A/C and I am good for critter comforts. :icon_thumby:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8

My thoughts exactly. Long term reliability, and long term affordability comes from having less unnecessary luxury features in my opinion. It also opens the door to many more potential buyers. People that just can't afford a $35,000 to $45,000 truck, and people that just don't want those features because they like a stripped down truck. I understand Ford has to offer these modern features to attract more buyers (and keep up with gov regs), but they're forgetting or ignoring people that focus more on lower prices, simplicity, and long term reliability. If they didn't make so many features mandatory when building the truck, they could really knock the overall price down and attract more buyers. Especially first time buyers imo.

I'm not trying to complain here. I'm simply stating the reasons why I wouldn't buy a new Ranger. Not when I can buy a used 10-15 year old Ranger that meets those desires almost perfectly. They really should make every single feature optional instead of saying "you have to include option 501a if you want chrome whatever"

In my opinion they've also lost most, if not all, of the Ranger styling. Things that made the Ranger stand out from the crowd. The truck now just resembles all other modern mid-size trucks like the Canyon, etc.. It's almost "car-like" in my eyes.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They really should make every single feature optional instead of saying "you have to include option 501a if you want chrome whatever"
Real world you can get around some of that with the dealer too. It isn't always as cut and dry as the build your truck thing makes it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I'll wait a few years until they're sitting along side the roads for sale because the buyer decided the $1,000 a month payment for 1/2 a truck was a dumb idea. Economy is ok now, but wait a few years it'll crash again and all those $40-100k toys people have been buying up will be for sale dirt cheap.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
My thoughts exactly. Long term reliability, and long term affordability comes from having less unnecessary luxury features in my opinion. It also opens the door to many more potential buyers. People that just can't afford a $35,000 to $45,000 truck, and people that just don't want those features because they like a stripped down truck. I understand Ford has to offer these modern features to attract more buyers (and keep up with gov regs), but they're forgetting or ignoring people that focus more on lower prices, simplicity, and long term reliability. If they didn't make so many features mandatory when building the truck, they could really knock the overall price down and attract more buyers. Especially first time buyers imo.

I'm not trying to complain here. I'm simply stating the reasons why I wouldn't buy a new Ranger. Not when I can buy a used 10-15 year old Ranger that meets those desires almost perfectly. They really should make every single feature optional instead of saying "you have to include option 501a if you want chrome whatever"

In my opinion they've also lost most, if not all, of the Ranger styling. Things that made the Ranger stand out from the crowd. The truck now just resembles all other modern mid-size trucks like the Canyon, etc.. It's almost "car-like" in my eyes.

Personally if I were to spend $35k+ on a truck I'd rather put that money towards a 3/4 or 1 ton truck that can pull when I need it, not 1/2 a truck pretending to be a truck. I got rid of my truck because the past few years I haven't needed one, what I have needed to haul I used a trailer anyhow so my Jeep does those tasks just fine.

Most of the cost in today's vehicles is all the electronic bullshit that controls everything from the engine to your power seats. I don't need any of that, all I want the damn thing to do is drive down the road without breaking down all the time...seems to be built into new vehicles, oh you hit 100 miles time to leave you stranded on the highway type nonsense all because of a "programming issue" with one of the various computer systems.

If you want that crap fine far out go buy it, but not everyone wants all that electronic garbage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals