• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What are these?

BeeCee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What's up guys?

Just got a quick question and was hoping someone might have some insight!

I've been doing some searching, but I can't seem to figure out what exactly these are, or moreso what they are named/would be referred to as, and more importantly if they are available. Just from searching OEM Ford part sites, it doesn't look like they are something you can buy/replace.

I'm sure I could get some vinyl and do something custom myself that would be similar, but I'm really curious if anybody knows if these are available, or may be available for another Ford truck, or possibly a universal design that's available.

If anybody has info on these I would appreciate any insight!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I would call them - outer panel front corner protectors

BeeCee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Great suggestion and I agree. I’ve tried that along with other variations similar with no luck.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Chip gaurd?

Take pic to dealer and show them

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Chip gaurd?

Ahahaha ha hahahahahahaha hahahaha a yeah right. If it ain't a feature that they can up sale, they don't know wtf it is.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
They're pieces of urethane tape to keep the panel edges from getting sandblasted and peeling. I've never seen a name or part number for them, the tape comes in a roll and you cut off what you need.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
clear vinyl that protects against stone chips. Start paying attention you'll see most cars have them. Usually just called "stone guard" "protector" etc. Usually can order it pre-cut from the dealer but older stuff you'll just need to make it yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Paint-Protection-Bulk-25-inches/dp/B00B3IXSMA/ref=asc_df_B00B3IXSMA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312126224579&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3084823413638619258&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015376&hvtargid=pla-569046109371&psc=1

Last edited:

BeeCee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Ahahaha ha hahahahahahaha hahahaha a yeah right. If it ain't a feature that they can up sale, they don't know wtf it is.
Lol yeaaa man you must have great dealers around you because dealers specialize in not knowing shit and not giving a shit lol.

They're pieces of urethane tape to keep the panel edges from getting sandblasted and peeling. I've never seen a name or part number for them, the tape comes in a roll and you cut off what you need.
Good info, thank you!

clear vinyl that protects against stone chips. Start paying attention you'll see most cars have them. Usually just called "stone guard" "protector" etc. Usually can order it pre-cut from the dealer but older stuff you'll just need to make it yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Paint-Protection-Bulk-25-inches/dp/B00B3IXSMA/ref=asc_df_B00B3IXSMA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312126224579&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3084823413638619258&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015376&hvtargid=pla-569046109371&psc=1
Thanks for the insight! I actually need black because I’m using it to cover up the rust where the original use to be. If you look at the last pic look at the bottom of the one too the right, and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

I appreciate all the feedback, I didn’t think I would manage to find the exact OE “part”, but I figured I’d ask. I’m just gonna DIY it and cut some tape/vinyl to shape.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You could just buy a roll of 6" or 12" protective tape. If you need it in black you could use the adhesive step tread that they use on vans and running boards. It holds up to the elements and is pliable.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Thanks for the insight! I actually need black because I’m using it to cover up the rust where the original use to be. If you look at the last pic look at the bottom of the one too the right, and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

I appreciate all the feedback, I didn’t think I would manage to find the exact OE “part”, but I figured I’d ask. I’m just gonna DIY it and cut some tape/vinyl to shape.
Go on ebay and search for black 3m vinyl. It probably won't stick too well over rust, and will be a little lumpy, but if you just want to cover it up then go for it.

BeeCee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a final update for you guys.

So after doing a lot of searching for every variation of 3M polyurethane tape, automotive protective tape, corrosion tape, etc. I came to the conclusion that I couldn't afford 3M tape lol.

I found everything ranging from $100-$900+, just some examples:

https://www.strobelssupply.com/3m-polyurethane-protective-tape-8544-black-pet-liner-2-in-x-36-yds-6-rolls-per-case?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbzDi8aM4AIVVIezCh3vlgksEAkYAiABEgIjFvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Polyurethane-Protective-Acrylic-Adhesive/dp/B000SUGOTS

I didn't find much in any other brands either reasonably priced, but I finally came across this Xpel Door Sill Guard tape for $20:

I was skeptical about it, but it looked like it would work and I gambled on it. Glad I did because it actually ended up being exactly what I needed!

It's actually some pretty solid tape with some really good adhesion. The texture of it actually worked in my favor as well because it almost gives off the worn texture of the OE tape.

I actually ended up covering the one rust spot as I previously mentioned, where the old OE tape once was on the passenger side, and I also covered two other rust spots on the bottom rear fender edges of the bed.

Just for some quick background on my '97 XLT, my dad bought it a few years ago junkyard ready for dirt cheap. He spent a lot of money on parts, and I spent a lot of time repairing it. He actually ended up giving it to me because I was using it more than him, and I've had it for close to 2 years now. While my Dad owned it against my advice he decided to spray paint the rust spots with black Rust Reformer. You'll see his half-assed paint job in the before pics below. Recently after spending more & more money to keep this thing alive, I got inspired to get rid of the rust, and I thought the OE tape could be a solution, and that's what sparked me to start this thread.

So here's the final product, I'm extremely happy with the tape and how it came out. I did use a hair dryer and heat gun in the process of application just to ensure good adhesion. For me, it was cheap fix to help clean up my daily beater!

Passenger side, OE tape replacement, ended up having to go a little wider than OE tape width on this one to fully cover the rust..as much as it was killing my OCD:

After:

Driver side rear rust before:

After:

Passenger side rear rust after:

Finished product:

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
We use the "Slip Guard Non-Slip Stair Tape" at work, it looks like it would work for this, available in "semi-clear" black and even black/yellow stripe..

I need to do this to my '11 Escape, the paint is suffering from these WV roads...

Link;
Slip Guard Non-Slip Stair Tape

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals