• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

slave cylinder repeated failure

godsend789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
if you dont know what your doing dont mess with it!
SO this is a new one by me and could not find any info on it... here is the story about 2 years ago my slave cylinder went out i installed a new one and had a shop bleed it.. worked fine no problems. as with all things hindsight is 20/20 and the clutch went out 6 months later and again changed the clutch.. 6 months after that a new problem has happened for some reason one day i went to push in the clutch the the pedal felt like i lost pressure and when i stepped on it again was hard as a rock will not move at all, it went into the shop they told me that for some reason the slave cylinder oval-ed and that was the problem so they chucked it up to a cheap part that failed... fast forward a year same thing happened pedal hard as a rock slave changed.. again this time it was about 5 days and happened again any idea why this is happening has anyone else ever had this problem i am kinda dumb founded i plan to pull the trans my self this time and would love to know what i should be looking for that a shop would have missed.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The clutch Master's hose has a Quick connect fitting, may be that is damaging the slaves

Replace master and slave as a set, pre-bled

The quick connect can pop off, and the valve inside it closes, so you can no longer push clutch pedal down, no where for fluid to go.
There were 2 different quick connects Ford used, they changed around 1992/93
But there are also other non-Ford brands of quick connects which are close but..............

So best not to mix and match these, lol
Buy them as a set, reservoir, master, and slave

The pushrod and master are one piece, they can be separated but shouldn't be
So remove Neutral switch from push rod then disconnect push rod from pedal arm
Unbolt Master in engine bay, then twist it and it will slide out

Last edited:

godsend789

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
if you dont know what your doing dont mess with it!
Thanks for the response and yes that was what was happening. I checked and the hose came detached from the slave. I believe there is a combo of problems the retaining clip was bowed a little and I believe that was part of the problem also the hose itself has a very small lip for it to catch on. There was no saving the old line once it damaged the lip. There also seams to be a lot of play between the line and slave where they connect, I am thinking that i will drill in a set screw to insure they can not come apart. Failing that I will have to replace the slave with the oem style. I wonder how many other people have had this problem and what the did to fix it.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the response and yes that was what was happening. I checked and the hose came detached from the slave. I believe there is a combo of problems the retaining clip was bowed a little and I believe that was part of the problem also the hose itself has a very small lip for it to catch on. There was no saving the old line once it damaged the lip. There also seams to be a lot of play between the line and slave where they connect, I am thinking that i will drill in a set screw to insure they can not come apart. Failing that I will have to replace the slave with the oem style. I wonder how many other people have had this problem and what the did to fix it.

Aftermarket part has an external clip that works pretty well. Easier to release when needed as well. O'reilly auto has one with this setup. Also works with oe master and hose.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals