• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Zimmer edition?

Mthorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Got a question, when my son turned 15 he decided he wanted a Bronco II for his first car. We found him a running 1987 in extremely good condition and got it. My question is has anyone else heard of the Zimmer edition? This thing has more plush seats, a built in CB, curtains in the back windows and a odd “scoop” over the rear. I can’t find any information on this vehicle.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maybe an upgrade option from a specific dealer.
Got more pics of the oddities?

zachwabbit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic

Mthorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome to TRS. Good score on a unique B2 (Bronco II).

Zimmer is (was?) a "conversion" company, mainly customizing vans, but also pickups and early SUVs, as yours. Here's a TRS article on Zimmer trucks with more info:
https://www.therangerstation.com/articles/zimmer-ford-ranger-conversion/

You made a great score. I like it for what is- 1980s pre-packaged automotive "coolness", that most people these days look at and think "What in the hell were they thinking?".

Yours looks to be in amazingly good and original condition. It likely has not been used, or been outdoors, much in it's 33 years. There weren't many of these Zimmers made or sold. I don't know if, or what, the market would be now, for such an odd relic, but it may be worth looking into how much it could possibly sell for to the right person, before changing anything.

Thank you for posting this truck; I really like it, for its cool funkyness.

robber364

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306 SBF
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
235/75R15
might also be cool to update that zimmer article with some pics/info from this build, on the rare chance someone else finds one in the wild and doesn't know what it is. either way, super cool score dude thanks for sharing

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
very cool B2. Somebody in my Family had a "Zimmer" Van. I cant remember who it was, but the fam called it "The Van" and it got loaned out to whomever was going on a road trip and wanted to take it. Those curtains … wow.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm amazed that the curtains are still intact, and look to be in good shape. They usually faded quickly and became so brittle they'd just fall apart after just a few years. The B2's tinted side glass helped, I'm sure, but even the paint looks to be good. I don't think that this truck sat out in the sun much over the years.

If given a good detailing, paint polish, buffing and wax, I'd bet this truck would really be a looker.

The seats look stock, as the center console, but the overhead console, CB and dome light are aftermarket. Also looks to have a old-school fender-key alarm. No visible dash cracks, and still has the stock radio. Upholstery, including headliner, looks to be in great shape.

The "cautions". It has an A4LD (the broken shifter handle is in the passenger seat) and the 2.9 with the earlier heads. With an ATF bottle and antifreeze jug being in the back, it'd be good idea to check the oil filler cap for "snot" and make sure the engine cooling system is in top shape. I hope the tranny is still all there, and that it has an external ATF cooler.

At the time, a Zimmer was considered the "Cadillac" of conversions. If I came across this truck, I'd buy it in a heartbeat at a reasonable asking price.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
That's a sick first vehicle. I love the rear scoop/spoiler/whatever it is.

Mthorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I'm amazed that the curtains are still intact, and look to be in good shape. They usually faded quickly and became so brittle they'd just fall apart after just a few years. The B2's tinted side glass helped, I'm sure, but even the paint looks to be good. I don't think that this truck sat out in the sun much over the years.

If given a good detailing, paint polish, buffing and wax, I'd bet this truck would really be a looker.

The seats look stock, as the center console, but the overhead console, CB and dome light are aftermarket. Also looks to have a old-school fender-key alarm. No visible dash cracks, and still has the stock radio. Upholstery, including headliner, looks to be in great shape.

The "cautions". It has an A4LD (the broken shifter handle is in the passenger seat) and the 2.9 with the earlier heads. With an ATF bottle and antifreeze jug being in the back, it'd be good idea to check the oil filler cap for "snot" and make sure the engine cooling system is in top shape. I hope the tranny is still all there, and that it has an external ATF cooler.

At the time, a Zimmer was considered the "Cadillac" of conversions. If I came across this truck, I'd buy it in a heartbeat at a reasonable asking price.
It was a reasonable price and we jumped on it fast. The truck is very clean and doesn’t have any major issues. Even the AC blows cold.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It was a reasonable price and we jumped on it fast. The truck is very clean and doesn’t have any major issues. Even the AC blows cold.
You did real good; that's a great score on a rare truck. Thanks again for showing us such a "blast from past" gem.

And don't be a stranger; if you have any questions post 'em up. This is a great forum, and there's some real knowledgeable people here.

Mthorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know what size socket I need to change the wheel bearings?

Mthorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic

More pictures

Attachments

Franken5liter

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31”

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals