• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

zf trans ?'s

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 ranger that i am going to start a v8 swap and i want to use full size 5 spd. tranny and t case, I am gonna go to the u-pull-it next week but want to know what to look for. I think im looking for an f250 or 350 with the small block bell housing but what do i use to identify a zf and is the np205 gonna be bolted to it and how do i identify that? and did they make it with an external slave?

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, picked up a zf trans out of an 88 f250 with a 300 I-6 from the u-pull-it for $100 and was wondering if an np205 would bolt up on it

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Just checking here...you did make sure that it is a ZF and not a regular Mazda 5 speed. All the ZFs will have a ZF ID sticker on the driver side. They are all internal slave also. The NP 205 will bolt up after some modification to the transmission flange. You need to grind the flange to clear the shift rail on the 205. As far as finding a 205 just about any fullsize from the 70s will have one and there will be an ID tag on the back of it. They are cast iron and quite heavy.

Matt

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks like you want to do the same thing i want to do. when you want help man get a hold of me.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea its definetely a zf read the tag on the case an definetely have an np205 cuz its a heavy cast iron sucker, but didnt try to mate the two yet just got them both pressure washed and degreased...5.72:1 1st gear yikes can anyone say whiplash....

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats the beauty of the zf is the low first gear

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I would highly suggest resealing the NP205...it will leak. You can get an overhaul kit fairly cheap for them and they are simple to tear apart. While you are inside you can grind the the shift rail so it has twin stick ability too. With a V8 you will rarely use 1st gear unless you have to go quite slow. As far as being a fast truck it has potential but you will find it has a nasty gap between 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th. Its a good transmission and will hold quite well. I have twisted frictions off clutches and snapped driveshaft yokes and the ZF is still in there. If you feel you need strong than that sorry to say you will have to use a built up C6

Matt

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found out I am going to have to clearance the rear flange on the transmission because of the shift rail to be able to bolt the np205 to it....:icon_welder:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Hit it with an angle grinder and a good grinding wheel and you will be done in a few minutes. A little tip. Go to a transmission shop and get a transfer case gasket for a fullsize ford. The gasket will have a spot to tear out just for the this case. You can use the gasket as a template to grind what you need then just use the gasket....less mess than RTV when you put the case on.

Matt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 & 7.5 460
Transmission
Manual
I have a zf in my f350. It has a 460 in it and tips the scale empty at 7700 lbs. No need for granny unless it is loaded. I have no problems and I have 183000 miles on mine. Good tranny a little over kill for a ranger but it should never die.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats what im looking for something that will last got sick and tired of tearing out the p.o.s. A4LD, and what year truck do i need to get the transfercase gasket out of ?...

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
My buddy has an '87 F-350 4x4 with a 521 stroker (460 BBF based) with a ZF-5 S-42 transmission. When he had 37's on it he managed to twist up a rear drive shaft like a pretzel gassing it too hard in 2nd gear (the driveshaft twisted up when the front tires were 6" off the ground!). He's also towed about 30,000 lbs behind that truck on a 3-axle dually 40' flatbed. The ZF has held up to it all with perfect reliability. Heck, even the Centerforce clutch is still there and still holding.

So yeah, way overkill for a ranger. You definately shouldn't have any problems. The reason I wouldn't like it is because the Ranger just aint big enough to pull loads requiring that granny 1st. So really what you are getting is an overdrive 4-spd.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals