• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

You'll never convince me....

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
....that small diesel trucks can't pass emmissions tests in North America!!!

There is NO reason at all for not bringing them here!

And here's the proof!

A new-ish Grand Cherokee

But wait!! What's this?

Hmm...do I smell a possible swap coming on??

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, Jeep did a few trucks with diesels in the mid-2000s. The Liberty at Grand Cherokee, at least. Hell, even the original Fourtwo Smartcar was a diesel. But emissions standards have went up since then, and now, only a gasoline fourtwo is available in North America due to emissions reasons. I can't imagine a truck doing better than one of those little bastards on emissions.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I heard it has something to do with the ratio between the weight of the vehicle and the size of the engine or some dumb thing like that.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Florida stopped the emission test and the safety inspections as well about 5-6 years ago and I miss it. There are some really bad crappy vehicals out there that choke everybody on the streets and I am so sick and tired of it....that means people are taking off their emissions and catalytic converters if they are bad....I hate that when it happens!!!!!

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Florida stopped the emission test and the safety inspections as well about 5-6 years ago and I miss it. There are some really bad crappy vehicals out there that choke everybody on the streets and I am so sick and tired of it....that means people are taking off their emissions and catalytic converters if they are bad....I hate that when it happens!!!!!
Not our fault that emissions screw people over on mileage and performance.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not our fault that emissions screw people over on mileage and performance.
Um.... no. Now go stand in your corner.

The emissions systems of the 70s did that. It was because they were grafted onto systems that were not designed to run with them. Modern engines and control systems (like, mid 80s on up, pretty much anything FI) are designed around having those control devices in place and operating properly. When they aren't in place you get crappy mileage and bad performance.

Go learn about what you are talking about before you bash it.

As for small diesels passing US emissions standards, it's gotten a lot harder. Even without the piss system the 6.7 is by far the cleanest diesel engine Ford has ever had. It wouldn't pass the federal emissions without the piss system, and when that system breaks, you know it right away. The engine de-rates itself to preserve emissions and suddenly has less power than a 2.9. And yes, emissions levels are figured out by looking at the ratio between the vehicle's gross weight and the displacement of the engine since that relationship has a direct effect on emissions.

Last edited:

clifford97

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you'll never convince me to buy a 80 or newer GM product:thefinger:

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Piss system? You mean that "urea" that now gets injected into the exhuast system. I saw a new 2011 Dodge 3500 Cummins with that system at the OKC car show. I got a video of the fill cap and some audio in the background of the dealer talking about it. Saying that it only needs to be topped off every oil change. It takes only 1 gallon every 1,000 miles, and the urea tank is 7 gallons.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
you'll never convince me to buy a 80 or older GM product:thefinger:
Wasn't trying to, but that's the only kind I'd own. As long as it didn't have a qudrajunk.

Piss system? You mean that "urea" that now gets injected into the exhuast system. I saw a new 2011 Dodge 3500 Cummins with that system at the OKC car show. I got a video of the fill cap and some audio in the background of the dealer talking about it. Saying that it only needs to be topped off every oil change. It takes only 1 gallon every 1,000 miles, and the urea tank is 7 gallons.
Yeah, the urea system, or as Ford calls it the "Selective Reductant Catalyst (SRC)".

And yeah, they only have to be filled once every oil change or so, but the fluid is $20/gallon. The Ford's have 5 gallon tanks. That's an extra $100 on top of an already pricey oil change.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
They quit building the diesel Grand/Liberty because they didn't meet the new emmission standards either. The 3.0L is a nice engine in the Jeep, buddy of mine owns one and it gets a consistant 25mpg city/29 hwy, even on oversized tires and with a fairly heavy right foot.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I know the 2011 Silverado 3500 has it. It's technology that came out in heavy commercial vehicles 2 years ago...which is also why you don't see any "new" CAT engines in big trucks. They got fed up with trying to keep up with emmissions standards to they threw in the towel. Yes they're going to be "producing" their own truck soon...but it's just a International that's been rebaged with the CAT name. So more than likely it'll be powered by the International MaxxForce.(I think that's what it's called.)

Anyway...yeah. There was a big stink about that new fluid crap when it first came out. 2 commercial engine companies went with it, while the rest (such as Mack and Detroit) figured out how to meet emmissions standards without the new fluid.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I dunno. So far these urea systems have been nothing but trouble. The grocery-getters don't seem to be having issues, it's the Allison Crane trucks. Out of 3 trucks in for 4 visits, one leaking turbo, 3 urea system issues, including one genius that put 2 gallons of urea in the fuel tank.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I dunno. So far these urea systems have been nothing but trouble. The grocery-getters don't seem to be having issues, it's the Allison Crane trucks. Out of 3 trucks in for 4 visits, one leaking turbo, 3 urea system issues, including one genius that put 2 gallons of urea in the fuel tank.
Yeah...commercial drivers weren't too impressed with the whole idea. Another BIG problem with that system is...where the hell do you go to get the fluid?? There isn't a station within 400km's of here that has any yet....and the stuff has been around for 2 years.

I think it was a bad idea from the ground up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals