• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Yes... I'm asking about a Dana 30.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm, maybe the double joints are a lot longer than I'm thinking. Only seen them on Xtreme 4X4 and in magazines.

Jeremy

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking at a HP D30 right now... If it stays under $150 I'll get it mainly because it is vacuum disco. I don't mind the full time locked in as my 99 front end will be plus I can get my front end geared for that much money and be one step closer.

I'll probably just end up going with a HP D30 if I actually DO break this axle at some point... I doubt I will unless I do something stupid while trail riding or try to show off. I guess I'll just have to keep my composure and tell everyone that my front end is a weak POS and I can't pull out their full size that is in ten inches plus of mud alone haha. Might happen.

Jeremy

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
So... I figured I might as well take the extra reassurance and get rid of all of the electronic shift stuff as it isn't working anyhow. Anyone know the best bolt on tcase to use? My truck is a 5 speed 4.0... I was thinking an older 4.0 tcase with manual shift would work just dandy. Thanks.

Jeremy

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
look around on here! some guy was selling one with all the linkage and everything. a bw1350

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure I could find one in the JY up here no problem... I will though :)

Jeremy

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
look around on here! some guy was selling one with all the linkage and everything. a bw1350
your better off keeping your E1354 then switching to a 1350. The 1350 has a slip yoke front output and is weaker then a 1354.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
So I've noticed... It started working today. Really unsure why or how. I have another thread in the 4x systems forum if anyone is interested as to what that problem was... Happy to have my 4X back though. Plus my brakes are actually working correctly too now. :icon_confused:

Jeremy

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
Found a D30 HP for $100 on ebay... He also had a full set of 4.10 geared axles that I should have bid on instead for $300 for the pair! Maybe I'll see if I can work something out and actually get them axles off of him, otherwise I have to spend $60+ on a carrier, $180+ on gears, set them up myself, and the disco eliminator ($40).

Right there is an additional $280 on top of the $100 front end when I could just get the pair and put in the axles from the 99 and spend $40 on a disco eliminator and be done, for $340... I'd just have an extra rear laying around, which I'd just take to the junk yard anyhow, and get a little dough back. Maybe enough for the disco eliminator, so I'd really only have $300 into the whole axle.

He didn't sell that pair of axles so I might ask him about that. He'd be getting another $200 out of me any way you slice it so I don't see why he wouldn't!!

Jeremy

Cherokeenut

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A D30 will easliy take 35's and lots of abuse. I run one under a '02 Supercharged TJ with 35 MTR's, my friend runs a disconnect 30 under a '98 8" long arm 35 tired Grand Cherokee, both have now almost 100,000 miles of daily and very hard wheeling without failures. A TJ low pinion is junk, a high pinion 30 is very strong. I build diffs for a living, the 30 is a workhorse for up to 35" tired rigs.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
And 35's are as big as I really plan on going. This project is on the back burner for a while... I'm not even sure if I'll actually get to it now. I'm building my drag car and kicking around the idea of selling my ranger with the HP D30 and the XJ axles then trade my Mazda 3 in for either a newer F-150 or a diesel F-250 SD. I will be able to get the 150 for cheaper and with lower miles but the 6 speed diesels get better gas mileage, already have a solid front axle and I can tow around my drag car with ease.

We'll see though!

Jeremy

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I blew up a u joint (un tacked caps) and an the front right axle shaft of my D44. With a 3.0, 4.30 gearing, and 35x15" meats.

Old shit wears down
New shit gets better (usually) every year
Big shit brakes
Little shit brakes
Which shit is cheaper and easier to replace?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A D30 will easliy take 35's and lots of abuse. I run one under a '02 Supercharged TJ with 35 MTR's, my friend runs a disconnect 30 under a '98 8" long arm 35 tired Grand Cherokee, both have now almost 100,000 miles of daily and very hard wheeling without failures. A TJ low pinion is junk, a high pinion 30 is very strong. I build diffs for a living, the 30 is a workhorse for up to 35" tired rigs.

.......... Ill have to see vids of u actually wheeing that thing in order to believe that it isnt just another guy wheelin there local walmart parking lot, i chew up d30's and spit them out, ive broken COUNTLESS d30's in the front end of all sorts of jeep rangin from mid80tys to late 90's stuff....that was ALL with stock tires on it, the d30 costs REDIC money to build because most jeep guys have more money then brains.....

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
most jeep guys have more money then brains.....
That's why they drive jeeps...

I'll be honest in saying I won't be trailing my truck every day but I'm hoping with the HP D30 I won't be breaking ring gears as often as I'm sure I would have been with the non HP while mudding through a field or just riding on some powerline trails...

I'm STILL cleaning mud off the frame from this one!! :beer::beer:

Jeremy

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
All opinion unless you've actually done it or broken it.
No. It's not opinion or gut feeling. It's objective and scientific.

The D30 has comparatively thin axle tubes, and a small ring gear. Both the 35 and the 44 beat it in these two important categories. And of course many D30s have small 260x joints, unit bearings, and low pinions. None of them have lockout hubs.

These facts trump any anecdotal stories. It's foolish to spend so much money and time swapping something in that will limit you so much. Just because some guys have gotten lucky with totally different trucks (that weigh much less) does not mean it will work well.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
My brother in law just got a D30 and a rear end with detroit lockers and I think another one for free. Hes giving me the D30 and selling me the rear end but dont know how much or if the front is a high pinion or low pinoin. I know the D30 had coil springs and a different gear ratio then what I have. Sounds like I'm going to be doing a SAS some time in the future.

Looks like im going to be reading this thread again so that I can see what people have said about them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals