• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ye age olde question...

SandFlea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
I've searched, here and beyond with mixed results. Seeing as how some years and models vary I figured I'd ask. Looking for sage advice

What'll fit? Its an 04 edge 4x4 standard cab, which'll be receiving a front level soon, 2.5 to 3 in
Some of the most conflicting things I've seen are about the fender flares and front discs

I've read 15x8 with a -19 offset will work with 33x10.5. I've also read they won't.
I don't necessarily need or want the biggest for sake of fuel and ride quality but I'd like 33's and could manage 32 if need be.

(Hopefully the pic is helpful)
20220115_174135.jpg

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
2 inches more then you have now should hold 33s

SandFlea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
2 more in the front right?
And as far as the offset, I've seen w 15's w/ -19 is the norm... as long as its not a positive offset should be good to go? Itd only see light trail mostly so i suspect rubbing shouldn't be too much of a prob

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
8 inch wide rims with about 4 inch backspacing and -19 offset should be fine.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
An age old question because there are so many answers. I think results vary based on factors like manufacturing tolerances, suspension wear, body and suspension bushing conditions, fender hacking etc...long story short, two of same trucks will sit slightly differently. Besides that, it will be easier if you dont care what the rims look like, as long as the wheels and tires clear everything. My old '93 4x4 ranger cleared 31" AT's with stock everything, my new old '93 4x4 ranger needed a leveling kit up front to clear 31" in the same manner. Based on what else you're willing to do (body/suspension lift, fender hacking) , you shouldn't have a problem clearing 33's with minimal wallet and rear end pains. I say do a little research math and roll the dice.
My buddy had an Edge, he put prerunner style fiberglass fenders up front (and eventually bed sides to), cleared 33's and looked good too (before he did the bed sides).

SandFlea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
An age old question because there are so many answers. I think results vary based on factors like manufacturing tolerances, suspension wear, body and suspension bushing conditions, fender hacking etc...long story short, two of same trucks will sit slightly differently. Besides that, it will be easier if you dont care what the rims look like, as long as the wheels and tires clear everything. My old '93 4x4 ranger cleared 31" AT's with stock everything, my new old '93 4x4 ranger needed a leveling kit up front to clear 31" in the same manner. Based on what else you're willing to do (body/suspension lift, fender hacking) , you shouldn't have a problem clearing 33's with minimal wallet and rear end pains. I say do a little research math and roll the dice.
My buddy had an Edge, he put prerunner style fiberglass fenders up front (and eventually bed sides to), cleared 33's and looked good too (before he did the bed sides).
Indeed those are some good points and think peices
Im not against a little light cuttin plastic wise. I can totally understand each frame or body bein the slightest bit different to the next, mines got a near half inch sag (my 02 exploder had the same) driver side so hopefully a little extra crank on that sides bar'll do - then on to leafs if necessary...
Im not opposed to 32's by any means while 33 seems to be the median.
Just looking to have them a little more flush or slightly beyond flush without using spacers (and ofcourse sit a little higher and "look" a little tougher 😉)

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
8 inch wide rims with about 4 inch backspacing and -19 offset should be fine.
Backspacing and offset describe the same thing. Please quote one or the other or have the 2 numbers match :stirthepot:

8 inch rims with 3.75" backspacing have -19mm offset; 8 inch rims with 4" backspacing have -13mm offset.

@SandFlea
Going to 33s doesn't make the tire flush or beyond. It is larger diameter and fills the tire well a little fuller.

A 33x9.5R15 (historical Jeep Wrangler option tire) is probably narrower and will pull the tire in from your current postion

As your stock rims are -6mm backspacing (I believe that is correct for the ones in the picture), and I think you are running 31x10.5R15; If you change to 15x8 rims with -19 offset, a set of 33x10.5R15 will be ~1/2" (13mm) in from where your tires currently reside, while a set of 33x12.5R15 will put the outside edge of the tire 1/2" out where it is currently (more/less). Note: This assumes you are using same tire - if you change from BFGoodrich All-Terrains to Goodyear Wranglers, you will see some difference as well.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
8 inch rims with 3.75" backspacing have -19mm offset; 8 inch rims with 4" backspacing have -13mm offset.
Ok

Wheel-Diagram.gif

Actually, for an 8" rim, 4" backspacing should put you right smack dab in the center at 0 offset. So my original statement was still flawed.

-13mm is more like 1/2" (12.7mm) which should be 3.5" backspacing and -19mm would be 3.25" backspacing.

Any of those should fit fine depending on diameter and width of tire.

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I'm happy with the 31x10.50's.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My apologies to you @ericbphoto, but thankfully, your picture exactly illustrates the problem.

Wheel width (and backspacing) is (are) not supposed to be measured to the outside of rim, but rather to the inside (where the tire bead actually sits).

But as it is a PIA to measure the flange thickness and the flange to rim center, then do the math to get the backspacing as defined, almost everyone quotes the flange edge to center distance for backspacing. As the SAE "J" rim spec only quotes a minimum flange thickness, 2 rims with different flange thicknesses e.g. steel versus aluminium rim, could have different backspacing even though they have the same offset. Which is why I prefer quoting offset - then there is no question of how you measured.

SandFlea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Man, now im all discombobulated 😆
So it seems backspacing is the norm term truck wise, I was used to offset bein the word with my "car tuning days"

I recently saw a pic of a fella w 32x11.50 r15 with a 4" backspace and they looked damn good, poked over flush a hair... which is what i think i want.
So regarding backspacing, as long as its 3.75 to 4, theyll squeeze in?

So, without the use of spacers whats the acceptable width of wheel/tire without much tweakage aside a little plastic snipping? If 32's will have a less chance to bottom or rub, can you go a bit wider to say 15x10 or 15x8 with an 11.5 wide wheel... there also what id think is an issue with wheel bead placement so a wider tire sits properly on a not so wide rim.

Man im getting schooled here

(This is the truck i saw, ganked off an old ranger forum post)
PC150047.jpg

Last edited:

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
11.50 is a pretty wide tire. Not sure if you'll get rubbing on the inside during sharp turns.

I run 35x12.50-15's on 15x10 wheels on my 3rd gen* and my tires rub on the radius arms a little bit. But your suspension is different than mine.

* = 6" lift and heavy fender trimming for the front wheels.

SandFlea

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
11.50 is a pretty wide tire. Not sure if you'll get rubbing on the inside during sharp turns.

I run 35x12.50-15's on 15x10 wheels on my 3rd gen* and my tires rub on the radius arms a little bit. But your suspension is different than mine.

* = 6" lift and heavy fender trimming for the front wheels.
That sounds spicy. You got a pic perchance? Im nowhere near a lift lift for the foreseeable future but id like an idea of how it looks

And anyone else for that matter please post up pics of 15x8s if ya got em with your tire and specs

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
What size tires you have on the thing right now?

The bigger you go with the tires the less low end grunt the truck will have. Even just upsizing by a measly inch will be a noticeable difference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals