• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

XLS Ranger

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I've seen much worse in the wanted/for sale posts.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I found another one of these - it does not actually have the XLS stickers but it has every bit of XLS trim and then some. This one is an '85 (I think.) I don't have the title yet and the door tag is annihilated. It's got a 2.8, A4LD, and the newer column but it has a single column of warning lights. I picked this up from a friend of a friend, sight unseen, for next to nothing... I was told ahead of time that it was "very, very rusty" and it was parked a long time ago because the front seal in the trans failed. The owner let it sit with the intention of fixing it but by the time he got around to it, the driver's side floor had a basketball size hole in it. The rest of the body is actually in really good shape, a little rust over the rear wheel wells is all. I cut floor pans out of another cab so I should be able to fix it pretty easily. May see if I can get the A4LD functional or manual swap it, not sure yet.

Anyway as I said this has all of the XLS trim that the previous truck did, plus a leather wrapped steering wheel and a weird upholstered upper dash and dash compartment. I have not seen the upper dash upholstered ever, kinda weird to have carpet up there. The seats are in super nice shape and it has the roll-up center console, although the roll-up part is broken like the other one I have. Odometer shows x05000 miles... judging by the lack of wear all around, wouldn't shock me if that was actual mileage.

Finally getting around to doing something with this truck and it is a MESS to say the least. After getting the carpet out we discovered that it pretty much has the entire driver's side floor pan deleted by rust. Transmission was toast (knew that) but it's also got a broken axle shaft in the front and some of the diff bolts are loose. Weird. Front brakes locked up, rear wheel cylinders leaking. Wires going everywhere for what I'm assuming were lights that are clipped off. :bad:

My 16 year old wants this truck so I've been making him buy parts. So far we have a manual trans swapped in and are working on cleaning up the brakes and some other things so that it will start, run and move. Once I can move it around the yard a little easier, we will tackle the floor pan and Duraspark swap. It is such a pain to push with the brakes locked up!

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
I really do like your xls ranger. I have seen quite a few those in Southern California thru the years. Haven't seen any in a long time. I knew someone years ago who had one and it was a good truck for him.

I heard you took possession of those blue ford ranger floor mats from plum crazy. Hope your enjoying them.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Thanks, I’ll get some updated pics posted once we are in the reassembly phase. I think it’ll be a good beater truck for a 16 year old. Nothing special and just the right amount of power - the old 2.8 should keep up on the highway but won’t get him in trouble.

yep, I did get those floor mats. Really cool that you kept them! They look right at home in my stepside truck.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That upper console with the swivel light looks very salvageable.
Bet a lot of members would snatch that right up.
Grumpaw
Was that headliner or upper console put ina regular ranger ?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Was that headliner or upper console put ina regular ranger ?
I trashed the headliner but Jim has the console and I believe he was going to use it in his Bronco II build for his GF's kid.

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
My Bronco2 is an XLS. I have the map light in a box of spare parts. I was thinking of getting an LED replacement bulb for it with the soft warm light. I kinda like the graphics. Never seen one before till the other day when I bought this rig. I wonder if there's any decal kits available for if a guy did fresh paint?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks to this thread I now know what my missing console is supposed to look like. If anyone has a line on one of these consoles in blue, I'd like to buy it.

I don't know what package was supposed to be on the 85 Ranger I bought. Maybe XLT? Don;t recall seeing any badges, bvut I Wasn;t looking for them either. It's a regular cab, long bed, 2wd truck and appears to have had almost all the options. No power windows or door locks, but AC, cruise, auto, was originally bucket seat, has the maplights, and dual tanks. Someone removed the console and replaced the buckets with a bench at some point, but the information panel for the center console is still there. I've got a set of the correct style buckets I can get repaired and recovered, but I've never see one of the consoles in person. If I'm going to go through the work to repair the rusted out floor boards, I'd like to find and reinstall the buckets and console.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Go to car-part.com Enter imfo , don’t recall if a blue one is listed . You just have to sit down and start calling . It’s hit and miss if they still have the vehicle or if it was removed . Just got the complete 1991 4.0 under hood wiring harness , not butchered up , they still had it on the vehicle . Been collecting parts to convert a Bronco 11 to a 4.0 for years . Got real lucky and found a 90 rust free the next day . Give me something to do this winter . Good luck .

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Thanks to this thread I now know what my missing console is supposed to look like. If anyone has a line on one of these consoles in blue, I'd like to buy it.

I don't know what package was supposed to be on the 85 Ranger I bought. Maybe XLT? Don;t recall seeing any badges, bvut I Wasn;t looking for them either. It's a regular cab, long bed, 2wd truck and appears to have had almost all the options. No power windows or door locks, but AC, cruise, auto, was originally bucket seat, has the maplights, and dual tanks. Someone removed the console and replaced the buckets with a bench at some point, but the information panel for the center console is still there. I've got a set of the correct style buckets I can get repaired and recovered, but I've never see one of the consoles in person. If I'm going to go through the work to repair the rusted out floor boards, I'd like to find and reinstall the buckets and console.
I have the red one from this truck sitting in my attic. If you want it, you can have it for free if you cover the shipping. I know it’s not blue but it can be painted!

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm game, red is better than none. Let me know what shipping will be, I'll PM the address.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals