• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

XLS Ranger

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I'm on the fence about the upholstered dash and cubby hole. Although it's kind of coming apart, it appears to very well done. The seams are perfectly sewed and trimmed... way past the skill level of the home hobbyist and it doesn't look like a cheap dealer add on. I think it came from the factory like that but that's just my personal opinion... we'll never know for sure unless we find others to compare with or some documentation.
Understandable, but that sure does look like the kind of stuff we'd do when I worked at van conversion shop in the '80's. In the dash cubby, see if the side panels are fabric-wrapped luan, and I think you'll find the original flocked finish behind the fabric. I've just never seen a fabric dash in any of the first gen trucks or in any factory literature (but by no means is it impossible that it's not a rare stock option). What is odd, though; is that in your pictures the only other aftermarket add I see is the running boards. Usually dolling up the interior included screwing wood trim on the dash and adding cupholders and lighting.

It does not have door speakers. I've never seen a first gen that does. The only ones I've seen besides the ones in the dash have been in little speaker boxes behind the seats in a single cab. Second gen single cabs also had optional speakers behind the seats but they were molded into the pillar trim at the bottom.
Right; first gens didn't have factory door speakers, but adding them was VERY popular back in the day. The OEM dash speakers wouldn't hold up to any kind of radio upgrade, and even a basic 5" door speaker sounded much better.

You do find some of the coolest stuff, Shran. Please keep posting these treasures when you find them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you ever get tired of tripping over those big bulky consoles, let me know... :secret:

Or better yet, find me a tan one :icon_thumby:

My cubby hole has some sort of felt type stuff in it. Looks factory but I haven't come across another one like it. Just a lowly Custom.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Here's another random oddball find from my junkyard trip today, a Ranger Explorer. I haven't seen one of those before either. It's an '86, long box 4x4 with a 2.3. Weird truck. It sits pretty high too so I thought at first it may have a lift or something but it's all stock. The Explorer decal is done in the same font that I have seen on mid 80's F150's with the Explorer package.

Understandable, but that sure does look like the kind of stuff we'd do when I worked at van conversion shop in the '80's. In the dash cubby, see if the side panels are fabric-wrapped luan, and I think you'll find the original flocked finish behind the fabric. I've just never seen a fabric dash in any of the first gen trucks or in any factory literature (but by no means is it impossible that it's not a rare stock option). What is odd, though; is that in your pictures the only other aftermarket add I see is the running boards. Usually dolling up the interior included screwing wood trim on the dash and adding cupholders and lighting.

Right; first gens didn't have factory door speakers, but adding them was VERY popular back in the day. The OEM dash speakers wouldn't hold up to any kind of radio upgrade, and even a basic 5" door speaker sounded much better.

You do find some of the coolest stuff, Shran. Please keep posting these treasures when you find them.
Yeah, it could very well be aftermarket. I don't know. The dash cubby fabric I think is just glued straight to the factory surface behind it. You're right, there's not much other aftermarket stuff on it except the running boards and the bug shield on the hood.

If you ever get tired of tripping over those big bulky consoles, let me know... :secret:

Or better yet, find me a tan one :icon_thumby:

My cubby hole has some sort of felt type stuff in it. Looks factory but I haven't come across another one like it. Just a lowly Custom.
Bro... road trip... I guarantee you'll go home with at least one of those consoles and maybe some box sides too :cool:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I forgot to mention that I got this second XLS truck running the other day!

It's been so long since I've dealt with a carburetor. I'm actually shocked that it runs... I pulled a 5 gallon bucket full of mouse nest off the top of the engine! Wires/hoses chewed threw, the works. Had two fire extinguishers ready when I connected the battery and turned the key but nothing bad happened.

I put the starter back in, redirected the fuel pump feed into a gas can as I'm sure the tank is in awful shape, filled the float bowl and it fired right up! Once it gets running it stays running but it's got the usual leaking carburetor issues.

It also sounds like it needs a valve adjustment job done. Not really a lifter tick type noise, not a knock, but more like a constant typewriter style tick, all the time. Holds oil pressure and seems to run very strong other than that.

I thought I would try to make it move so I dumped 5 quarts of ATF in, assuming that the previous owner told me the whole story about how "it started leaking so I quit driving it." What I did not know was that there was no pan gasket and the pan was only held on by four bolts so it obviously leaked some. No fluid on the dipstick after 5 quarts and no movement... not good... pulled the pan and found metal chunks and a big half ring shaped part, maybe a broken snap ring or something. Obviously junk.

Probably will put a 5 speed in it, although I don't have a good one of those either at the moment... I hate to admit this but I think I'm going to try rebuilding the FM146 I have out back. Then clean out the rest of the mouse nests, a drivers side floor pan, Duraspark swap..................

I have too many projects, I should make my kid take this one on for his first vehicle.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, go with the kid, slave labor(well payment is in knowledge) is great while it lasts, they leave home too quick and you don't realize it until it happens
Don't tell them its "bonding" tell them its punishment or a reward which ever works best that day :)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yes, go with the kid, slave labor(well payment is in knowledge) is great while it lasts, they leave home too quick and you don't realize it until it happens
Don't tell them its "bonding" tell them its punishment or a reward which ever works best that day :)
I've been poking at him all week to see if he's interested... first it was "is it an automatic? I don't like manuals"

Well kid, you're 13, you have zero knowledge about the subject. It will be undergoing a 5 speed swap. :ROFLMAO:

Today on the way to school I prodded a little more and he seemed to be a little more interested. I think there's a small spark of interest there. I think I've worked a deal with someone for most of what I need for the Duraspark conversion and maybe a couple transmissions that I'm picking up today... it's moving slowly but there is progress!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Needs more A4LD... for experiences.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Those XLS decals are awesome.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Tell him he can have an automatic, if he can take an A4LD apart and put it back together correctly ;)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
This is all true, no kid should live without the experience of losing 4th gear on the highway or overheating the stupid thing and watching it puke fluid all over.

If I had a local friend who knew A4LDs I would probably just leave the auto in it and rebuild it myself but the furthest I've gone into one is changing the pan gasket and filter so my comfort level is pretty low.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any one can drive an automatic
Manual trans operation is a learning curve, like riding a bicycle, and like riding a bicycle its something you never forget, once you learn it

Like a secret place in a video game where you can get extra lives, series of button presses and actions, something you learn by repeating over and over

And vehicles with manuals are less likely to be stolen, new generation thieves can't drive manuals, lol

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Any one can drive an automatic
Manual trans operation is a learning curve, like riding a bicycle, and like riding a bicycle its something you never forget, once you learn it

Like a secret place in a video game where you can get extra lives, series of button presses and actions, something you learn by repeating over and over

And vehicles with manuals are less likely to be stolen, new generation thieves can't drive manuals, lol
There's a hack for everything!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is all true, no kid should live without the experience of losing 4th gear on the highway or overheating the stupid thing and watching it puke fluid all over.

If I had a local friend who knew A4LDs I would probably just leave the auto in it and rebuild it myself but the furthest I've gone into one is changing the pan gasket and filter so my comfort level is pretty low.
My junior year mine burned up and I only had the forward gears. No park, reverse or anything. Fluid was metal flake black and smelled exactly like burnt popcorn.

Dad bought a wrecked truck truck and that was my first "big" project on the truck. We got it back together just in time for prom... 19 years ago.

Trans was still good when I turned it in for a core on my M5ODR2 :icon_twisted:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I LIKE IT!!!

copyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
love seeing all these old manual rangers, thanks for sharing 👍

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals