• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

XLS Ranger

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Makes me wonder if there's a plug in the harness under the dash that it connects to.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Basically what I want to know also, and is that plug only on early 1st gens?
Makes me wonder if there's a plug in the harness under the dash that it connects to.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I will let y'all know. I planned on pulling the console harness out.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
There was more discussion on these consoles here, in which there's a pic of the EVTM page for the lights out module:

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/random-junkyard-finds.185720/page-2#post-1727150

I don't know how the wiring plugs into the truck; if I had to guess it would make sense that the light monitor harness would plug in-line to some of the truck's existing wiring harness plugs. @Shran - let me know if you need schematics or locations to help you pull the console complete.

alpine67

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That map light looks identical to the ones found in European Mark I and II Mercury Capris.

shorangerbird

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
those may seem "rare" now, but they werent back in the day. XLS...XL with a "sport" appearance pkg. Stripes and interior doo-dads. Consoles, seats. make the cheap XLs...."Sporty"

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
XLS is today's STX. Still a nice find.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
those may seem "rare" now, but they werent back in the day. XLS...XL with a "sport" appearance pkg. Stripes and interior doo-dads. Consoles, seats. make the cheap XLs...."Sporty"
The vast majority of 1st gen trucks I've owned, seen, worked on etc were XLTs. I feel like the stripped down Customs and XLs probably just wore out many years ago, I almost never see those anymore. This one XLS is actually the first and only one I've found in the wild, not that that means anything, my findings are pretty unscientific. I've actually seen more STX High Riders than XLS package Rangers, lol

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I found another one of these - it does not actually have the XLS stickers but it has every bit of XLS trim and then some. This one is an '85 (I think.) I don't have the title yet and the door tag is annihilated. It's got a 2.8, A4LD, and the newer column but it has a single column of warning lights. I picked this up from a friend of a friend, sight unseen, for next to nothing... I was told ahead of time that it was "very, very rusty" and it was parked a long time ago because the front seal in the trans failed. The owner let it sit with the intention of fixing it but by the time he got around to it, the driver's side floor had a basketball size hole in it. The rest of the body is actually in really good shape, a little rust over the rear wheel wells is all. I cut floor pans out of another cab so I should be able to fix it pretty easily. May see if I can get the A4LD functional or manual swap it, not sure yet.

Anyway as I said this has all of the XLS trim that the previous truck did, plus a leather wrapped steering wheel and a weird upholstered upper dash and dash compartment. I have not seen the upper dash upholstered ever, kinda weird to have carpet up there. The seats are in super nice shape and it has the roll-up center console, although the roll-up part is broken like the other one I have. Odometer shows x05000 miles... judging by the lack of wear all around, wouldn't shock me if that was actual mileage.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good score- nice old truck. DIN radio and A4LD with the 2.8 would make it an '85 model. I think that the dash panel and cubby have been recovered with upholstery fabric. I can't tell if it has added door speakers, but it's interesting that the dash speaker grilles are covered, too (if present, they'd still sound OK through the fabric).

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
You find the most fantastic Ford products. There is literally nothing in my area even close to resembling that, and if there is, it is rusted to hell and back, and the seller wants 8 grand for it, because they "know what they have",

The upper dash certainly seems custom, but I am not sure about the small space in the dash.

My grandfather had an 85 Bronco II many years ago. I know it is a different truck, but I seem to recall the space having a color matched form of upholstery there. It was not a thinner material, not very plush.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Haha, even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion. I'm just always looking, always asking around... it pays off on occasion. I know what you mean about those sellers... I have passed up MANY trucks for those reasons. Seems to me that there is a small but endless supply of people flush with cash that buy junk at any price. That and the internet have enabled people to "know what they have." Funny though, I've personally had people say something like that about something they're selling and then at a later date insult something I'm selling.

I'm on the fence about the upholstered dash and cubby hole. Although it's kind of coming apart, it appears to very well done. The seams are perfectly sewed and trimmed... way past the skill level of the home hobbyist and it doesn't look like a cheap dealer add on. I think it came from the factory like that but that's just my personal opinion... we'll never know for sure unless we find others to compare with or some documentation.

It does not have door speakers. I've never seen a first gen that does. The only ones I've seen besides the ones in the dash have been in little speaker boxes behind the seats in a single cab. Second gen single cabs also had optional speakers behind the seats but they were molded into the pillar trim at the bottom.

It's for sale for $8,000 if anyone's buying at $8,000, I know what I have 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
!!!!RARE SLS PACKAGE RANGER!!!!!!

$8500 OBO

YOU WILL NOT FIND ANOTHER ONE OF THESE FOR SALE AT THIS PRICE.

GRATE RESTORATION PROJECT.

ALL ORIGINAL, NOT IN 1000 PCS LIKE THOSE OTHER GUYS.

RAN WHEN IT WAS PARKED IN 1947.

MY GREAT GRAND PAPPY DROVE IT TO CURCH ON SUNDAY AND THE FEES STORE ON THURSDAY, THAT’S ALL.

I SWEAR ITS 56k MILES NOT 256K MILES.

I KNOW WHAT I GOT NO LOW BALLERS.

I WILL NOT TRADE FIR YOUR TRASH.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
ADULT DRIVEN, NO HOT DOGGIN.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Haha, even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion. I'm just always looking, always asking around... it pays off on occasion. I know what you mean about those sellers... I have passed up MANY trucks for those reasons. Seems to me that there is a small but endless supply of people flush with cash that buy junk at any price. That and the internet have enabled people to "know what they have." Funny though, I've personally had people say something like that about something they're selling and then at a later date insult something I'm selling.

I'm on the fence about the upholstered dash and cubby hole. Although it's kind of coming apart, it appears to very well done. The seams are perfectly sewed and trimmed... way past the skill level of the home hobbyist and it doesn't look like a cheap dealer add on. I think it came from the factory like that but that's just my personal opinion... we'll never know for sure unless we find others to compare with or some documentation.

It does not have door speakers. I've never seen a first gen that does. The only ones I've seen besides the ones in the dash have been in little speaker boxes behind the seats in a single cab. Second gen single cabs also had optional speakers behind the seats but they were molded into the pillar trim at the bottom.

It's for sale for $8,000 if anyone's buying at $8,000, I know what I have 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
I know the internet has been both a blessing and a curse to car enthusiasts.

Don't get me wrong, I can see if you have something that is rust free or has been visibly garage kept, I can see putting a premium on it. If the Ranger you just found had no rust, interior spotless, paint shining, I can see that commanding more than an old clunker.

The dash could have been done by a custom upholstery shop. Carpet dashes were popular years ago. I think they still make carpet dash pads for older vehicles.

Honestly, if you fixed up the rust, put a little elbow grease into making it spic and span, it would sell for a pretty penny. I don't know about 8 grand, but probably close.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals