• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

XJ coils and shocks?

michowski

Reaction score
Ok well for the front coils ive decided to get the jeep xj coils. I was gonna get the skyjacker 8" lift coils. I do have a 4" lift but I also have a supercab so I know my truck is heavier then the standard. My goal was to try and use little to no washers in order to get to the optimum ride height. I know il still probly need the washers but as long as im not stacking em over an inch.

For shocks I am for right now gonna run just singles up front. I was reading some other threads and see that the bilstein 5100 series should be enough to run with xj springs. I see that there is a bunch of various shocks to choose from. Some have a Fixed Reservoir and others are just gas filled mono tube. Also what am I looking at for when it comes to how many inches of travel I can expect with the xj springs?

Any advice on what to buy would be appreciated.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
18-19 inches of travel.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You may want to think about using early Bronco coils rated around 300PPI instead of XJ coils (less than 250PPI) on a Supercab, the XJs may be too soft for all that weight.

As for shocks, I see no need for reservoir shocks unless you'll be doing a lot of sustained high-speed driving. I have the 5125 monotubes on mine.

Last edited:

michowski

Reaction score
Does anyone make an eye ring conversion for the top front shock. That way both top and bottom mounting are both eye? I can only find the 5125 shock with eye mounting top and bottom.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That's a TTB Bronco, those coils would be way too stiff. "Early Bronco" refers to the '66-'77 models.
None of these coils will "bolt right up" though, a little bit of modification to the mounts will be needed, the amount of which depends on the coils (with early Bronco coils, you'll probably want to modify the EB lower coil retainers for use on your Ranger axle).

F-250 shock mounts have the eye on the top (you'll need to extend your shock mounts anyway to be able to use all the available travel).

michowski

Reaction score
ok well after reading that thread seems like im gonna just stick to ttb coils. Not as soft as id like but they will have to work.

michowski

Reaction score
Is it normal to have to use 8" lift coils in order to get the beams all setup right on a 3.0 extended cab. I know there heavier and I got 6" lift coils on there now but it still needs to go up a bit. I think the 8" springs and maybe some washes will bring it up right.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The 8" springs should level it right out. Or you could use spacers to get the actual 6".

michowski

Reaction score
Ok well im torn from getting the bronco 9" lift springs now and upgrading the shocks down the road to get better articulation. How exactly do you go about mounting the bronco coils onto the ranger. From what junkie said its just the lower mount for the older bronco springs. That means the stock coil bucket will work then correct? Just have to figure out how to attach it to the beams then right?

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you have to do alittle work on your stock top bracket to.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you might have to bend the ears out a little, that keep the spring in its place. i think you just have to bend one out. you will see when you do it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Supercab trucks do tend to sit lower than reg cabs. Unfortunately none of the lift companies address this issue, so thats why you often end up short on S/Cs :annoyed:
1" spacers would effectively compensate for it, but the next size up coils do work in most cases as well.

With non-RBV coils, the upper bucket needs a bit of modification no matter which coils you use (unless they're real short lift). This is due to them wanting to bow out a bit when weight is put on them. You could also swap to the EB buckets as well, adding the F-250 shock mounts alongside them would be real easy then.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals