• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WWII Dodge Military 1.5 ton axles

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
A buddy of mine wants to lift his cherokee. This dude knows his shit, but hasn't delt much with building 4x4s. We got to talking today about what he wants to do to his XJ and we started discussing axle swaps.

He said he's got a set of 1.5ton military axles laying around at his house but he doesn't wan to use them. He just wants to run 35s with a few inches of lift and some fender trimming.

So I offered to trade him my D44 and 9" for the 1.5tons and he said he's down. Simple swap for me; new U bolts, plates, shock mounts, and I'm good to go.

I'm looking for info on these axles. I'm pretty sure they're passenger drop though, which got me wondering about the custom exhaust I'd have to run (or open manifolds :icon_hornsup:) and clocking/replacing/modifying my T case. Maybe this is the time to build a doubler?

I know that sounds like a lot of work but these axles are all one cast piece I'm pretty sure and I couldn't flip the tubes...I think?

Any info like links, or direction would be great.

Adam

krazykracker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if those are the closed knuckle type,theyre impossible to find parts for around here.
should be a D70 closed knuc front.

i would just keep the 44,9in combo

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
I know a guy that runs D70s in his buggy and has lil problem keepin the together turnin 50"+ tractor tires.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I know a guy that runs D70s in his buggy and has lil problem keepin the together turnin 50"+ tractor tires.
Are they the new Open knuckle style or the older closed knuckle? The closed knuckle style have smaller U joints and are nearly impossible to find parts for.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
what are you doing that could frag a 9in?

Frank

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Ya know its funny this closed knuckle deal. Everyone say that the closed knuckle 70 has smaller joints. And Im fairly sure that they hear it and then say that its fact, never actully knowing or seeing. And smaller then what? Do open knuckle 70’s run larger joints then 60’s.

My buddy is building an old International, had a closed 70. Everyone told him it was junk and dinky shafts joints. Well I tore it down and 35 spline inners, course outers but still same diameter as inners and the only difference in the joint from a open 60 was no oil seals.

So I know his was not a shit axle, with good shafts, joints and 4.88 gears stock.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals