• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wtf tranny

dirtyhorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I bought a 87 b2 for 300 engine runs amazing but needed a tranny replacement used one came with it turns out tail housing is 2.5 inches longer than the original with leads me to believe it cam from a extended cab ranger but it mounted up just fine with a shortened drive shaft but once I got it all buttoned up it grumbled in neutral and all gears I also lost all my clutch fluid after about 10 blocks could this groaning and loss of clutch fluid be from a bad slave cylinder possibly also I put 85-90w in the tranny is it ok to run in it I've been told it's fine to use in it could use some hints and tips on this tranny issue please:dunno:

dirtyhorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok I now know the one I put in it is a fm-146 witch is for 88 and up can I still use it or dose it have to be the fm-145 witch is for 85 to 87 if it dose have to be the fm-145 why dose it have to be and is there any way the fm-146 can still be used ??:icon_confused:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
witch? as in the good or bad witch?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
sounds like you already figured out what you had before was an fm145, what you have now is an fm146. pretty sure they are interchangeable other than the length of drive shafts, so as long as you have a way to take care of that, you should be fine. both the fm145 and 146 use gear oil. hard to say what the issue is with the noise, maybe throw out bearing? im not sure if the slave cylinders are interchangeable between the two, did you use the one that came with the trans?

dirtyhorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Arggg which not witch Dam auto spell lol

dirtyhorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I do prefer the bad witch though

dirtyhorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I did I didn't know I should replace the slave cylinder on a used tranny my dad said it could be the slave cylinder rubbing the throw out bearing which could of smoked my slave cylinder possibly leading to totally loss of clutch fluid idk I'm no mechanic I just know enough to as you can see get myself into trouble

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I don't know . . . Glenda did look pretty good :)

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Umm,...I'm no master mechanic but I have had several of the fm146's and if memory serves me correctly it actually calls for dexron/mercon and not gear oil. The gear oil is too thick for the tranny to lubricate itself properly. Loss of clutch fluid is usually a bad slave cylinder or blown line.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals