• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WTF?! Body mounts rusted off front clip

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
The repair looks tidy. Seal the seams well before paint.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Agreed. It looks nice. I am going to fill mine with expanding foam and then POR-15 and paint it to keep the rust away.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
DO NOT fill with foam; DO NOT. Painting with a good product is helpful. Let me suggest Master Series as opposed to POR. I do not liker the results of POR,

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
It attracts and captures moisture.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It attracts and captures moisture.
I'm not trying to be a douche, but do you have something I could look at to show me evidence of that? I've used the stuff in my house, and shed with zero ill effects - some of it has been applied for over 5 years. It says it's waterproof right on the can.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I've been restoring cars and taught autobody for over 30 years. Your house is different. Rust starts mainly from an area in which it not not given the opportunity to dry out. take a bare piece of steel and throw it out in the yard. It will get surface rust quickly, but not rust through. It is given a drying time after moisture times. In closed areas on a car, the moisture never gets out. That is why areas rust easily on some designs. I didn't say foam was bad for a house . we are talking about a car. Do what you want . . the internet is for opinions. I gave mine.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I've been restoring cars and taught autobody for over 30 years. Your house is different. Rust starts mainly from an area in which it not not given the opportunity to dry out. take a bare piece of steel and throw it out in the yard. It will get surface rust quickly, but not rust through. It is given a drying time after moisture times. In closed areas on a car, the moisture never gets out. That is why areas rust easily on some designs. I didn't say foam was bad for a house . we are talking about a car. Do what you want . . the internet is for opinions. I gave mine.
I think you've taken me the wrong way. I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was only asking how you gained that knowledge - hoping you could explain your experiences. I know you've done great body work that I really admire. I wasn't trying to sound like I knew more, just giving examples of my experience. Sorry if I came off like that, but I tried to explain in my first sentence that it was not my intent.

Have you by chance used this stuff from Eastwood?

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I didn't take it wrong. Was just pointing out that from my experience, I would not do that.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
As always Pete thanks for your good comments.

I laughed a bit though when you wrote "before paint", and I don't mean any offense to you, but painting that new panel is like trying to polish a turd. It just doesn't make sense. The truck is too old, has too many miles, and is waaay too rusty to care what the paint looks like inside the engine compartment. The new rad support has a good finish from the factory that I have to believe is better than the rusted out panels I connected it to. When I get back to working on the Bronco that'll be a different story but as far as the Ranger it's always been more of a 'make it work' approach.

As an Architect I'll say that closed cell foam does not attract and capture moisture. Some builder's even use expanded foam in lieu of a traditional moisture barrier on exterior walls. I can also see though where it might trap moisture on metal. Walls breathe, car panels don't.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Threads like that's make me glad I live in south Texas, the only salt I see is from the beach :cool:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I fixed mine so it wont happen again. I simply replaced the entire core support with box tubing.lol

I managed to get the hood latch to line up perfect on my first try. Poppe the rubber bumper off the stock hood stops and popped them over the head of a 5/16 bolt to make the new ones.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I fixed mine so it wont happen again. I simply replaced the entire core support with box tubing.lol

I managed to get the hood latch to line up perfect on my first try. Poppe the rubber bumper off the stock hood stops and popped them over the head of a 5/16 bolt to make the new ones.

Awesome job on that....

May I suggest, perhaps, turning on a light when you take pics...lol...I could see everything but not as clearly as I'd like to...you know I can't copy that work without seeing the fine details...:icon_thumby:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I'm not trying to be a douche, but do you have something I could look at to show me evidence of that? I've used the stuff in my house, and shed with zero ill effects - some of it has been applied for over 5 years. It says it's waterproof right on the can.
I think you've taken me the wrong way. I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was only asking how you gained that knowledge - hoping you could explain your experiences. I know you've done great body work that I really admire. I wasn't trying to sound like I knew more, just giving examples of my experience. Sorry if I came off like that, but I tried to explain in my first sentence that it was not my intent.

Have you by chance used this stuff from Eastwood?

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html
I completely agree, do not use expanding foam. I've only been in the collision business for 8-9 years and I've seen enough. Manufacturers use expanding foam (better quality than great stuff of course), and thats always where the cars rust first. Many cars, when you remove the rear quarterpanel, will have some sort of foam somewhere, and its always starting to rust around there because it traps the moisture. I think the best example of expanding foam failure is Dodge Stratus'...they fill the rocker panels with foam, and those suckers all rusted out within a few years. Proper seam sealer, and good weld-through primer will do tons in keeping the rust away, I also suggest painting the core support BEFORE installing it, and touching it up after installing it if you weld it in.

For rust proofing between the panels and such, I would go with a product like "Honey Coat" from Crest, or "Rust Figher" from 3m, they're both a wax based product that will run into every little nook and cranny, that stuff from eastwood just looks like a self etch primer to me, though I'm sure it helps!

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Those were pics I took with my old cell phone.lol.

-PlumCrazy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals