• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wrong O2 sensor

rangerdanger57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I'm sure I'm overthinking this but I just replaced my catalytic converters on my 2006 Ranger FX4 Level 2 with the 4.0 motor and I bought new O2 sensors for it. I wanted motorcraft sensors and none of the auto parts stores had motorcraft so bought them from rockauto. Banks 1 and 2 sensor 1 are fine and bank 2 sensor 2 is fine but sensor 2 for bank 1 is the wrong connector and looks exactly like the other sensor 2, but they have different part numbers. The part number on the one I'm thinking is wrong is f85f9g444ac (blue connector) and the part number on the old sensor is f85f9g444ea (green connector). Now the problem is the new one has the tabs on the connector in the wrong place and I can't find the right one. I've looked everywhere. I've searched the old part number and still no luck. I just can't seem to find the right sensor with the right connector for it. I've though about cutting the connectors off both of them and swapping them but I don't know what kind of effects that will cause. So any and all input is appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The biggest difference is the length of the pig tail. The one is longer. The reason the connectors are different is to keep them from getting crossed if they ever have to be disconnected at the same time (like if the trans has to come out). Having them crossed can cause a lot of running issues.

Just shave the tabs off the one that is wrong and be careful.

rangerdanger57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The biggest difference is the length of the pig tail. The one is longer. The reason the connectors are different is to keep them from getting crossed if they ever have to be disconnected at the same time (like if the trans has to come out). Having them crossed can cause a lot of running issues.

Just shave the tabs off the one that is wrong and be careful.

I called Ford today and the parts guy confirmed the one I bought is the right one for the truck and the f85f9g444ea should've never been on it. Which doesn't make sense because the truck has the pigtail for that sensor. Haven't had a chance to look and see if that pigtail on the truck was spliced there or not though. Decided earlier today to unpin and swap the connectors on my new and old sensors. Thank you for your feedback!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals