• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wrangler Duratrac....Which Load Range?

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have pretty much made up my mind to try the DuraTrac. The overwhelming majority of the reviews I have read on these tires are positive, although some have complained that the sidewalls flex too much, and aren't very stable at highway speeds.

I can understand the benefits of a flexy sidewall off road, and the drawback to this at highway speed. For my uses though, I won't be doing much of either, as I don't get to wheel nearly as much as I'd like and I rarely drive on the highway, although I want tires that perform well when I do.

I have the choice of load range C or E in the 265/75/16 size, and I'm trying to decide which to go with. The $20 price difference isn't an issue. Would the E tires have a stiffer sidewall and potentially eliminate the problems some people are reporting? Would there be any drawbacks to going with E over C as far as ride quality, or is that just a matter of air pressure?

I know my way around car tires pretty well, but this will be the first set of truck tires I have ever bought, so I'd appreciate any input.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
On a Ranger you don't need more than a C. E's are 10 ply 1-ton truck tires, the tires themselves are very heavy and stiff and it'll ride real hard.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i really like my E-rated tires on my 1st gen truck. not a harsh ride at all. good handling and puncture resistance. just run a reasonable air pressure for the weight you're carrying. they really aren't 10 full plies anymore. the new compounds they use can carry the equivalent of 10 ply tires from many years ago when they made them that way.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i run D rated on mine but they are 10 ply they work well...expensive tires for what they are.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
If given the choice, I'd stay with a load range of C or D. But in the case of some tires (such as the BFGs in 265/75/16) they only come in an E-rated type. In my experience theres no need to be scared of running E-rated tires...they're not bad at all. I have them on the sport trac and actually enjoy the stiffer sidewall.

Mar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've had my tires, C rated, for about a month now and I am impressed with them. Ride is pretty smooth, they hum and not howl and very good in snow.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks to all who replied.

The different opinions have me no closer to a decision yet, though. I'm going to have to wait another week to get them, so if anyone has anything else to add, feel free. :icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals