• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

would like some advice

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hi, im planing on putting bigger tires on my ranger. i have 4.10 gears with a auto 3.0. i was thinking 35's. now idk if it would have the power to get up hills on the road or not and was wondering if any one knew what it would be like or a better size. btw to the floor it will climb a descent hill at 45. any advice is helpful thanks :icon_thumby:

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
with the 3.0 i wouldnt go much bigger than 31's with 4.10's you could probably do 32's but more than that you would need more gear unless you don't mind it being a pig

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you had a stick, id say yould be fine... i just installed my 4.88's in my donor rear end last week, and im currently driving my 3.0 with 35's and 3.73 and it really isnt that bad. can easily get over 80mph with no problem. auto though, id say no way.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
5.13 axle gears is what you would need for 35s, though unfortunately 4.88 is the deepest available for the later IFS front axle. If 33s are acceptable to you, the 4.88s would be perfect for that.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so let me get this straight. if you go with bigger tires you need higher gears like 3.73 3.55? or lower like 4.88 ect? the reason im doing this is because im planing my diesel conversion. and the engine would make to much torque with the 4.10's and i will need new tires anyways so im trying to counter act the lower gears by getting bigger tires. the diesel has 300+ or -foot lb's of torque if that helps. just the old two birds with one stone thing. and to the pig question it already is 14 highway hence the diesel swap

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A diesel COMPLETELY changes the whole entire picture. Very different power band on a diesel vs. your stock 3.0L.

As I mentioned in your other thread, you'll probably want to match it up best you can with the overall ratio of the vehicle the engine came from based on it's axle ratio & tire size.

And yes, bigger tires means lower (or deeper) gears are needed to compensate (as an example, 4.56s with 33s would be almost identical to 4.88s with 35s).

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_thumby: nice got it all

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals