• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Would it work???

bullitproofranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
1.5 L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2wd 90 ranger 2.3, and right now I am planning on a Dana 30(XJ, or similar) swap on the front, but theres a guy down the road from me that has had a Chevy/GMC C/K pickup sitting for a number of years, and I was thinking about saving up and offering him some $ for the axles and the leafs,(the chevy is at least a 3/4 ton, late 70's early 80's truck), and I was thinking about taking the front axle and, grinding off the welds at the knuckles and at the pumpkin, and switching sides with the axle tubes and the pumpkin, welding it back up, and then I would have a drivers side diff. so I could use a ford transfer case. would it work? could be done on a weekend? any input is aprecciated, thanks.

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It could most certainly be done. Patov6 was running a chevy D44 with swapped tubes for a while, it also died catostrophically. As far as getting it done in a weekend, I guess it could. That would be one hell of a long weekend though, especially by the time you get the steering worked out, the cross members for the leaf perches, etc. What kind of fab experience do you have? And just a fyi, the tubes for the axles are pressed in, they will be a pain to remove and you will have to flip the c's as well.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
As far as being able to do it, anything is possible, as far as in a weekend, as long as you have everything in front of you and ready to go. I've never seen a SAS happen in a weekend and ready for monday let alone switch from passenger drop to driver side. A D30 is an almost bolt in thing with just some fab work but like I said never seen one done in a weekend, not saying it cant be done but with some buddies it may go faster.

Or mabey that Chevy/GMC truck can be your 4wd truck or weekend wheeler to make stuff even easier.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You best plan for having your truck down for more than a weekend.

My SAS was planned to be finished in 4 months, It's now been 8 months. But I'm also doing a whole lot more than a SAS.

None the less, plan for the unknown.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you will also need to cut down the long side. because of where the pumpkin is in relation to the knuckle you will be 2 - 3" longer spring to knuckle on the ling side than you will be on the short side......

assisted with a corp 10b swap into a LandCruiser and the long side had to be cut down 1.5" to be the right length spring to knuckle and the FJ60 frame is a little wider than a Ranger.

you might be better off finding a pass drop t-case.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Or you could take that money you plan to spend on this truck, and buy an axle better suited for the swap. Possibly even a matching set of axles.

bullitproofranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
1.5 L
Transmission
Manual
Oh crap I just remembered that guy also has an old f-series dually that he recently moved in front of the chevy, maybe I could ask him about the ford's front axle and about the chevys rear axle(I dont want to deal with dual wheels), could the ford front and chevy rear be dana 60's(the f-series is I think late 70's to early 80's).

bullitproofranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
1.5 L
Transmission
Manual
as far as fab skills, I really have never fabbed any thing metal, but I have seen numerous threads on here that give me a very good idea of it, plus I have a freind and an uncle who has fab skills and they both can weld. Although I have been trying to find a CHEAP, decent arc welder to learn on.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You pay for cheap you get cheap.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
the Chevy might be a D60 if it is 70's. If it is 80's and its the stock axle then it will either be a 44 or a corp 10b.

a 1 ton dually ford 4wd? most likely will have a 60...... I have only seen like 3 pre-98 4wd dually fords in my life...... they are rare.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Run a 2wd transmission, a divorced transfercase, and a chevy axle. Biggest problem will be exhaust in the way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals