• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Work In Progress

90jurassic2

U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a build thread? I can't see on in your sig.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
no.:dunno:

i just fix the rotten junkpile as shit falls off or i get sick of rebuilding weaker stuff.:D

somebody offered to do a compilation for me a few years ago as i have a rule about discussing or showing shit i do for people that those who i do work for already know. i have my reasons for that because i seen the downside first hand.

i had plans for the rebuild, and would have recorded it better because my kids would do it for me. but i was seriously injured this year and those things are on the back burner for now. but from the stuff i have i may consider the compilation thing so i have a link. i do get asked about a build thread more and more often the last few years.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no.:dunno:

i just fix the rotten junkpile as shit falls off or i get sick of rebuilding weaker stuff.:D

somebody offered to do a compilation for me a few years ago as i have a rule about discussing or showing shit i do for people that those who i do work for already know. i have my reasons for that because i seen the downside first hand.

i had plans for the rebuild, and would have recorded it better because my kids would do it for me. but i was seriously injured this year and those things are on the back burner for now. but from the stuff i have i may consider the compilation thing so i have a link. i do get asked about a build thread more and more often the last few years.
That's because your rig is badass! In all seriousness if I hadn't seen your rig I'd woulda never known that rangers had that much potential I just wish you would post some good pics up so I can have some kickass screensavers. :headbang:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
my rig is horrendous to look at, pictures of it clean would frighten you.

i only interjected here because there was too much potential misinformation i seen with the v8 swap situation and wanted to open up the possibilities.

like i said, if the 302 is the best deal thats what i would do. but times have changed and fuel is a much bigger deal now as far as costs. you find yourself in a repower situation and thinking long term is not a bad idea. of course i am getting older...and lazier:D

i really think today if i were 17-21 i would drop a 3.7 from a mustang or 150 in my ranger and live with it. actually any of the v6 engines today...ford gm or dodge hell even toyota or nissan if i was drunk enough and the price was right:icon_twisted:.

BUT

this 18 mpg on 35's with a carb is worth considering as well. it sure as fawk would be the most cost effective swap initially when considering level of difficulty and time to study systems.

if i could have pulled 18 mpg from a 351 or 302 in my normal street configuration thats what would be in my ranger.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my rig is horrendous to look at, pictures of it clean would frighten you.

i only interjected here because there was too much potential misinformation i seen with the v8 swap situation and wanted to open up the possibilities.

like i said, if the 302 is the best deal thats what i would do. but times have changed and fuel is a much bigger deal now as far as costs. you find yourself in a repower situation and thinking long term is not a bad idea. of course i am getting older...and lazier:D

i really think today if i were 17-21 i would drop a 3.7 from a mustang or 150 in my ranger and live with it. actually any of the v6 engines today...ford gm or dodge hell even toyota or nissan if i was drunk enough and the price was right:icon_twisted:.

BUT

this 18 mpg on 35's with a carb is worth considering as well. it sure as fawk would be the most cost effective swap initially when considering level of difficulty and time to study systems.

if i could have pulled 18 mpg from a 351 or 302 in my normal street configuration thats what would be in my ranger.
I think your rig either way would look sick. And I don't drive the truck often as it is and if I do it's around town or doing stuff around my gpas house. I have pulled a couple trailers here and there and the v6 kinda just didnt cut it. Granted gearing could have helped but I think a v8 would just make things easier. I have a buddy that has an old f150 with a newer 302 swapped in and I might see what he wants for it. Maybe ill just do a body swap and then ill have sas as well.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
You'll be happy with the 302. It's a blast being able to pass someone on a hill in a ranger. They give some odd looks lol.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
You'll be happy with the 302. It's a blast being able to pass someone on a hill in a ranger. They give some odd looks lol.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I'll like it also. Just having enough power to pull a hill would be nice.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Bobbywalter- Hey what kinda fan do you use when you do a 5.0 conversion on your RBV's? What cubic foot of flow do you recommend?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
gassers i use anything from minivan dodge to taurus.

particularly i like the taurus with a good 25x19 summit type radiator.

best compact cooling i had with the gasser.

even pushing 44's it kept cool just fine.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
gassers i use anything from minivan dodge to taurus.

particularly i like the taurus with a good 25x19 summit type radiator.

best compact cooling i had with the gasser.

even pushing 44's it kept cool just fine.

I used one out of a ford mini van. It was a dual fan so I cut it and I used the bigger fan of the two. It works fine till I'm going up a steep grade on a hot day. I was gonna get a new $139 fan that pulls 2800 cfm from summit. The fans that pull over 3,000 are like $289.

I think I'm gonna take it to the radiator shop to get cleaned too.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just showed the wife that picture and all she said was dayyum! I think she digs it lol
Also not much of a update as the truck is still collecting dust and wasp nest by the day. I maybe be trading a Buddy of mine for a v8 or a 4.0 he's got in the shop. He's got all the parts to swap either in just don't know how deep of a hole I'm digging yet.lol

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright so its question time... my cousin told me that he bought a set of chevy axles and they had been flipped around to driverside drop.is that possible? a buddy of mine has a set for sale so would it be worth it or should i buy them clean them up and trade for a set of ford axles?thanks in advance

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
alright so its question time... my cousin told me that he bought a set of chevy axles and they had been flipped around to driverside drop.is that possible? a buddy of mine has a set for sale so would it be worth it or should i buy them clean them up and trade for a set of ford axles?thanks in advance
You are better off just holding off until you find a hpd44 and 9in for sale. Can usually find that combination for a few hundred dollars, at least you can in wisconsin.

edit: I just seen you plan on going to 38s in your sig. imo 38s would really be pushing a hpd44. doable yes, ideal...probably not.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals