• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

work boot thread

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I have worn a worx shoe by redwing for about 15 years at work. Doing turbine engine assembly, disassembly, quality control, and than as just a walk around while in management. They were a fairly smooth bottom, slip resistant but still slick on smooth concrete when wet, and steel toes. Very very comfortable and I could walk to and from work in them when I wanted to (two miles from my mailbox to my office). They were a spongie rubber bottom and leather uppers.

Than they stopped making it in my size so about three years ago I had to start looking for something else.

So far, I have found the cheap Dickies that look like vans (but are obviously steel toes) works good for what I need now, being more of a sn and pn chaser during dissy, and since I spend about 6 hours of each day on the computer inputting sn and pn info and historical record info.

They have more traction than the worx and are not as hot but fade from black to a weird greyish color fairly quickly

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I'm still looking for the the perfect work boots, or shoes. For now, have found the best comfort is to rotate them through the week. They're all comfortable at first, but after a few days not as much. I keep getting ads for "indestructible work shoes" might take the bait and click on it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Have you looked at Thorogood... only boot still made in USA last I checked.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

Deiimos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’m not much of a boot wearer, but the Garmont T8 NFS have been the most comfortable pair I’ve worn. To me, they feel very close to wearing typical sneakers, pretty light weight, and don't hurt my feet or ankles after hours of wear, and just feel good overall. Not really "work" style boots, I guess they are the tactical type.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
my sons like those. one is on active duty as an army recon scout and the other is finish rotc at texas a&m in may and will go to active duty, he hopes, as an officer. both said those garmont are good for ruck marches

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
8CAB9B51-A43C-4609-88FE-C41A78C71892.jpeg
Anyone know what this sole is called? I’d love these soles on a more comfortable boot. Not sure what brand I had, but this was the best boot I had. Hated it at first. Got blackhawks that were very comfortable but fell apart after 6 months. Went back to this pair, then moved to Rocky SV2. They just didn’t work so I went back to these. Took a year to break them in, but they were awesome. I ran the tread flat before I retired them.

I like my Dan Post Cowboy pull ons best if I’m not doing actual work. On my second set of soles on my current pair.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
you should be able to take your combat boots to any boot shop and get them resoled. just pick the tread pattern you want and they will put them on.

the people at the px might know a good place to go, or maybe even your local army surplus store

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I was always a chippewa super logger (?) kinda guy but I get a screaming deal on Redwing boots through work now. Company started a boot program a few years back and I've Been there long enough where I only have to pay like 10% of the price of the boots and work takes care of the rest.

Needless to say I just get the most expensive boots they have every year lol.

This year that pair happened to be made for foundry work, so the soles are good for like 500 degrees or something crazy before they'd start to melt. Absolutely useless feature for hanging gutters... but it was between them and the pair I got last year, and I felt like switching it up.

Their warranty is pretty nice. I always break the 2nd highest loop/hook for the lace on the outside of my left boot for whatever reason... always... every pair.... within weeks.... so i just take em in and they'll have it replaced in a few days.

I'll have quite the selection of hardly worn boots in a few years lol. I really only wear them when there's snow on the ground, after mud season I just work in sneakers.. and about the time it's going to snow I'm eligible for new boots, so new boots I get!

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
View attachment 76105Anyone know what this sole is called? I’d love these soles on a more comfortable boot. Not sure what brand I had, but this was the best boot I had. Hated it at first. Got blackhawks that were very comfortable but fell apart after 6 months. Went back to this pair, then moved to Rocky SV2. They just didn’t work so I went back to these. Took a year to break them in, but they were awesome. I ran the tread flat before I retired them.

I like my Dan Post Cowboy pull ons best if I’m not doing actual work. On my second set of soles on my current pair.

here is a link to a catalog of all of their tread patterns.

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
WesCo has been a good one for the past 20

Attachments

StokdGS

U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Lariat
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When @Dirtman posted pics of his uncle sam boots in a 4.6l thread, I felt it was time...

Anyways to recap, I recently switched from work boots to tactical boots for work, and like them much better.

I replace my boots often, so am always in the market. have yet to find one I would buy a 2nd pair of. I do like these bates.

I been looking at Keens for my next pair.

Most of the guys at work wear redwings/irish setter. I tried them on and did not like them.
I know, this is an old thread, but I just got here not long ago...Sorry.... :(
Have been using leather Redwing boots for years...They only feel great if you buy the Redwing Inserts that go inside them...
Having been on my feet since I was working at 9 years old, I eventually developed plantar fasciitis, in both feet and wow, that really hurts..
The Redwing boots and the inserts helped minimize the foot pain and I like that you can bring them back in and get them re-soled for cheap, when you wear them all down..
Have since found out that the only other thing that really helps minimize this painful foot issue is to really stretch your calf muscles out first thing every morning.. I found a piece of hard closed cell foam that is 6 inches in diameter and cut it in half..
I take that half round piece, lay it on the carpet flat side down, put both my feet on it with the arches in the middle, the feet pointed up, and lean, way, far forward, putting my hands on my dresser edge, and really stretch both my calves for a bit, and then put the socks, on boots on, and I have been good to go for many years now...
Tried a few other work boot brands but they were not nearly as good as the Redwings.. Yes, Redwing boots are not inexpensive, but this combination, with their excellent inserts, and I have very little to no foot pain, and the major plantar fasciitis issue is pretty much gone too..

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I know, this is an old thread, but I just got here not long ago...Sorry.... :(
Have been using leather Redwing boots for years...They only feel great if you buy the Redwing Inserts that go inside them...
Having been on my feet since I was working at 9 years old, I eventually developed plantar fasciitis, in both feet and wow, that really hurts..
The Redwing boots and the inserts helped minimize the foot pain and I like that you can bring them back in and get them re-soled for cheap, when you wear them all down..
Have since found out that the only other thing that really helps minimize this painful foot issue is to really stretch your calf muscles out first thing every morning.. I found a piece of hard closed cell foam that is 6 inches in diameter and cut it in half..
I take that half round piece, lay it on the carpet flat side down, put both my feet on it with the arches in the middle, the feet pointed up, and lean, way, far forward, putting my hands on my dresser edge, and really stretch both my calves for a bit, and then put the socks, on boots on, and I have been good to go for many years now...
Tried a few other work boot brands but they were not nearly as good as the Redwings.. Yes, Redwing boots are not inexpensive, but this combination, with their excellent inserts, and I have very little to no foot pain, and the major plantar fasciitis issue is pretty much gone too..
I find that there aren’t comfortable or uncomfortable shoes. All they have to do is fit my feet and be big enough for my orthotic. The orthotic is the important part.

I’ve had a few custom orthotics, but they were molded to my effed up feet so I never liked them. My current favorite insole is Spenco total support max. It has a decently high (and stiff) arch and a met pad.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I recently discovered I am a wide size...what a game changer, finally my toes ain't squished from the sides.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I recently discovered I am a wide size...what a game changer, finally my toes ain't squished from the sides.

100%

Especially if you wear a steal or composite toe. I always go a size wider then normal when getting a safety toe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals