• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wont start when warm

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Hi guys, I have a repeatable issue with starting. When this 2007 4.0L sits in the sun, sometimes the engine won't fire up. Cranks fine. Sometimes it tries to kick over slightly. If I keep the ignition in the "run" position in preparation for the second attempt, it seems to help it start. In prior second attempts in starting, still doesn't want to start, one has to hold the key in the run position for a couple of seconds. Q: Is this a fuel pressure switch of something? I'll look for codes, but never saw any before. The motor has a new set of plugs, coils, wires. Still the warm starting issue persists. So I guess it's time to start getting into the fuel system. I have read about some sort of known issue with a "fuel pressure switch"?

--EDIT; The coolant temp sensor possibly, will have to pull the manifold to replace. Will be a project for the very near future.

Thanks for everyone's' input. - Doug

Last edited:

bills4065

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You got to love these kind of headaches, Doug. some of these mechanical returnless systems have pressure regulator as part of the fuel filter while others the pressure regulator in the tank. Do you which set up you have?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here's a fuel pressure tester at Harbor Freight for $24.00

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals