• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wont roll in neutral...bound 4x4?

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
1999 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 5spd 4x4

So since I bought the truck a year ago it intermitently has been going into 4h on its own. It takes me turning the electric shifter to 4h then back to 2wheel to get it to pop out of 4h. Why it goes into 4h randomly on its own? I don't know, dang electric 4x4.

Anyways, heres the problem. I went to the store and a block before I got there it started acting like it was in 4h. So I did what I normally do and throw it into 4h then back to 2wheel to get it to pop out. This time it did not pop out. Normally if it does not pop out, which it does sometimes, the 4h 4lo lights flash 6 times. Then the next day I'll go fire the truck up and its fine, no flashing lights and its in 2wheel and it will go into 4h or 4 lo and back like its been fine the whole time.

So, turning into the parking lot, the wheels squeeled and I heard a pop noise. I pulled into a parking space and when I put the clutch in to coast to a stop, the car just stopped. As if the drivetrain seized up. Truck was in neutral and parking brake was off, I only use parking brake on hills...So when its in neutral and no brake on, I cant even push the thing, parked on a slight incline the truck wont even roll...

I start the truck up and go to drive, and it acts as if something is bound up. I have to give it more gas and let the clutch out slower so it gets more power to pull through the binding. So now Im going 3mph forward and when I go to turn the wheels squeel again and I hear a strange noise from the front.

What I mean as bound up, is like someone was holding the brake down when trying to drive.So I had it towed to my cousins shop. We get it off the fat bed and as its rolling back it is acting like it was, 2 of us were able to push it but it was tough.

I paid the tow truck driver and my cousin jumped in the truck and everything was fine...WTF??:icon_confused:

I think the electric shifter for the 4x4 is screwy. It seems as if it was bound somewhere in 4wheel drive. He is going to look at it Monday, but I'm curious if anyone has any possible ideas? Any help is appreciated.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
If it happens again, jack one front wheel off the ground. It sounds like it is binding up. If it is, lifting one front wheel of the ground may release the bind. If it is broken components you will have to find the problem.

WTF

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'06
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Life is too short for cheap beer.
When you shift it back to 2 wheel make sure that you back your truck up at least 20 feet to help with releasing the t-case. Hope this helps!!:beer:

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Can you pull the connectors for the auto tcase shift motor? maybe even pull the shift motor off and manually shift it to neutral with a Vise Grip?

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you srteach and wtf. I think thats what it was. Because when we got it off the flat bed, it rolled about 15 feet backwards then we pushed it a few more feet. Thats when my cousin got in and everything was fine.

I think it was in 4h, because I noticed it just before turning into parking lot. Being that your not supposed to use 4x4 on dry pavement that probably caused the bind.

Kind of sucks I paid $100 to tow it on a flat bed to the shot and right when it got off the flat bed it was fine lol. Oh well...

Now I need to find out whats causing it to shift into 4wheel drive when the switch it in 2wheel...lights don't even light up but it will engage 4wheel randomly...If I don't get this fixed I'll keep running into binding problems.

Thanks again guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals