• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wont crank

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
wont turn over at all, where to start?
99 ranger 4cyl 5spd
donor vehicle 98 expo 5.0, i have installed explorer column, gauges computer, and pats. not the automatic transmission or any of its harness, i swapped a sn95 t5 in, i suspect this is my problem, the lack of nuetral safety switch. can anyone tell me how to by-pass or get around this?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK 1998 V8 Explorer never came with Manual trans so not sure if there is a Clutch Switch by-pass like Rangers had

Up to about 2002 All Rangers were wired for manual trans so had a clutch switch plug-in above brake pedal area, thin 6 wire connector
On automatics they added an extension harness to the clutch switch plug, that harness ran to the automatics DTR

You can look and see if that's there, looking for Pink wires or white/pink or red/blue

If its not there then look in cab fuse box, test if FUSE24 has 12volts with key turned to START, that 12v comes directly from ignition switch, it should ONLY have 12v with key in START
You can tap that circuit there, should be a red/blue or white/pink wire coming out of fuse box

Run that wire to starter relay in engine bay

Diagram of V8 Explorer start circuit here: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/starter-gif.59827/

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
thanks for the info, ill give it a try this week sometime. you make it sound so simple.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals