• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Won’t start after cleaning engine bay

RANGermanGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
After wrapping most electrical connections, covering the alternator, battery, distributor, and maf sensor I lightly sprayed the engine bay with degreaser and soap and ran the lightest hose setting over the entire engine and now I’m left with a problem… it will not start. I see people pressure wash their engines from a foot away with nothing covered and walk away with no issues, here I am covering sensitive components and still run into trouble. If anyone could give me a heads up on what it may be it’d be cool.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Only advice I can give is to make sure the engine is fully warmed up before using pressure washer. Unwrap everything, shake the connectors loose of any water, and use WD‐40 on the electrical connections. WD-40 stands for Water Dispersing, recipe #40.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
WD40 is NOT recommended for electrical connections, or much of anything else; it attracts dirt\salt & does not stay in place as a lubricant.
Use ElectricalContactCleaner or RubbingAlcohol & a QTip or SoftBristle brush such as an old ToothBrush.
Optionally use DiElectricGrease on the Plastic\Rubber fitting\seal, but NOT on the metal contacts.
Shiny clean & tight bare metal~metal is want is needed for electrical contacts\pins\terminals.

If you washed the engine cold, likely water has settled into places it shouldn't be;
try a space heater underneath to dry things out. &\or compressed air into every crack+crevice you can find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals