• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wiring

madranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1984 carbureted 5.0 out of a lincoln town car in my 1984 ranger. I am using the stock wiring harness from a 1983 ranger but im not sure what which wires go to what so I can splice them to the wires on the motor. anyone have some kind of diagram. this is probably kind of confusing i don't really know how to word it so if you have questions please ask, thank you!

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Have you looked in the Tech section? Lots of info there on the swap and many wiring diagrams available. What are you looking for specifically? Motor, starter, interior? It has it all.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Tech Section is here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Look in electric diagrams

So you are not going to use the Fuel injection computer, right?

And you will be using a vacuum advance distributor not a TFI system which needs a computer, right?

Then there really are not many wiring changes outside of moving them out of the way.

Alternator wiring should be the same, assuming external voltage regulator and an alternator that uses an external voltage regulator on the '84 engine.
If you want to use a newer alternator then wiring changes are specific to the new alternator not the motor swap.
Alternators with external regulators are call 1G(1st generation)
2G have internal regulators as do 3G alternators
Google: 1G to 2G conversion
or 1G to 3G

There are only 3 other wires used on the engine.
Coolant temp sender, 1 wire
Oil Pressure sender, 1 wire.
Key on voltage to coil/ignition module, 1 wire

Tach wire, if needed, goes to coil "-"
If you have AC that adds 1 more wire, to compressor

Starter relay is not on the engine so its wiring shouldn't change

If you use an electrically heated choke for the carb then you will need to add that wire

Last edited:

madranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok i have most of the interior wiring installed already it it just for the motor accessories basically, thanks

madranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok i will need some help by looking at diagrams this is what i came up with but it still will not work, I have 3 wires coming from the back of the alternator, Battery, Field and Stator correct? I have the Field wire (orange with light blue stripe) hooked up to a wire that goes into the fire wall somewhere and then on my mutimeter it seems to be connected to the F on the regulator, then I have my Stator wire (white with black stripe) connected directly from the alternator post to the S on the regulator. and then my battery (black and orange) going though the firewall and back and connecting to the A on the regulator (i tested it and it is getting power through this wire) Im not sure where the wires go once they get through the firewall... is this correct?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals