• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring the third light on truck cap?

4DR99'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
anyone have any tips/DIY topics on how to wire the third light on a leer cap? the wires are hanging down from the cap just can't figure out where to send them. do i tap into the brake light? if so how dod i do that or do i run them up to the cab and if so where? thanks guys

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
under your hood next to your fuse box there should be a caped off green wire that's connected to your brake switch in the cab. if you run a wire from that to the brake light on your cap it won't blink with the turn signals.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
^^^ what he said...IIRC it is underneath the fuse box. Green, deadended wire with shrink tube over the end.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
On my 2000 the shop just tapped into the brake wire, they pulled the brake light out tapped into it, punched a small hole into the bed and ran it up the cap. I'd get a picture of it but I can't get to it right now.

4DR99'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
under your hood next to your fuse box there should be a caped off green wire that's connected to your brake switch in the cab. if you run a wire from that to the brake light on your cap it won't blink with the turn signals.
I saw the green wire now what is that connected to? looks a little too good to be true i assume the other wire is a ground? just splice the green wire and ground the other one somewhere on the body? :icon_confused:

On my 2000 the shop just tapped into the brake wire, they pulled the brake light out tapped into it, punched a small hole into the bed and ran it up the cap. I'd get a picture of it but I can't get to it right now.
pics would be awsome. :beer:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'll see what I can do on pics - I haven't shoveled through all of the 'global warming - aka: climate change' to get to my Ranger (it's down the driveway behind an '89 F-350 and my choptop) yet. The cap is not on the truck right now, it's sitting in the back of the '94 F-350 which is next to my '88 BII down the driveway on the other side of the limestone pile from the Ranger - I may or may not be able to get any pictures of the wiring inside the cap. I might try taking a venture down there tomorrow, I haven't been able to plow down to them since we got 2' of snow within about 12 hours and the skid steer is sitting in the shop refusing to start - which would be what it would take to dig through all of the white crap piled in the driveway.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If you just tap into the brake light, the third brake lamp on the canopy will blink when you have that signal on.

The green wire is direct power from the brake switch at the brake pedal. Run that to the back of the truck and up through the tail light area on the drivers side and into the canopy. Simply put a terminal end on the ground wire and use a tapping screw to ground it behind the trail light.

I recommend using getting a 2 prong connector so you can simply unplug it when you want to take the canopy off.

4DR99'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
nice thanks for the help it will be one of my projects tomorrow

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you just tap into the brake light, the third brake lamp on the canopy will blink when you have that signal on.

The green wire is direct power from the brake switch at the brake pedal. Run that to the back of the truck and up through the tail light area on the drivers side and into the canopy. Simply put a terminal end on the ground wire and use a tapping screw to ground it behind the trail light.

I recommend using getting a 2 prong connector so you can simply unplug it when you want to take the canopy off.

No, it will not if you get the correct wire, at least on a 2000. I purchased the cap new and had it installed 6 months after I bought my Ranger back in 2000 and that's how the Leer dealer here did it. I ran the truck with the cap like that for about 5 years or so then started swapping back and forth with a tonneau cover. Now the truck has been parked for a year because I had to spend all of my time an money patching up my work truck - my Ranger needs a new core support (lovely PA rust), radiator and some misc other stuff.

Of course, those boneheads also got lazy and instead of running a power wire back from the front of the truck for the light inside the cap they tapped off of the marker lights - which means when I want to turn the light inside the cap on I have to have my marker lights on.

4DR99'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll see what I can do on pics - I haven't shoveled through all of the 'global warming - aka: climate change' to get to my Ranger (it's down the driveway behind an '89 F-350 and my choptop) yet. The cap is not on the truck right now, it's sitting in the back of the '94 F-350 which is next to my '88 BII down the driveway on the other side of the limestone pile from the Ranger - I may or may not be able to get any pictures of the wiring inside the cap. I might try taking a venture down there tomorrow, I haven't been able to plow down to them since we got 2' of snow within about 12 hours and the skid steer is sitting in the shop refusing to start - which would be what it would take to dig through all of the white crap piled in the driveway.
sounds like it's buried. don't worry about pics if that what it takes.

4DR99'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like it's buried. don't worry about pics if that what it takes.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
well, I gotta dig my way down there sometime. Bunch of snow melted today, it might not be too hard to get down there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals