• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring in my Dakota Digital Speedometer

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering, I have not completed my diagnostic work, the limited amount I can do, but if the tranny is damaged internally from the accident it was in, will the 1995 5.0- OBD I A/T trans work as a quick change out? I have that complete truck, but opted for the 1999 Explorer when it became available because of all the parts I could use.

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I think I have answered my own question. It appears that ‘98 thru’04 use a different EPC solenoid and the PCM reads it at a different frequency. Is it possible the ‘96 PCM does not recognize my ‘99 tranny?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It would set codes if the PCM didn't see correct parameters from controls or sensors in a transmission

What model is the 1995 transmission?
I am guessing its not 4R70W
AODE probably, so no, can't use it

You could use an older AOD, doesn't need computer but current PCM wouldn't like that

Yes, if vehicle was in motion when an accident occured then there could be damage to transmission,

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I think at this time, based on all I have read, and about half of what I know I should double down on finding someone to reflash the ‘99 PCM to take out PATS. Then see if that PCM recognizes the tranny, if I can do that then I may know whether there is unseen internal damage to the D-OD parts of the trans.

In all this time I found one company and when I emailed the VIN# the tech guy said it would be 3-4 weeks and $300-$400 “probably” because he had to send it to another programmer.
I need to find one of “those guys.”

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check with local speed shops or if there's a place that can Dyno a vehicle, these places usually either do programming or know locals that do

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals