• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring help needed.

smudvapor

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"Lets stop thinking in terms of limitations and start thinking in terms of possibilities."
The harness that is connected to the ECM and that runs across the engine to the plugs at the firewall has been butchered and repaired over the years. I am trying to figure out a couple of wires on the harness. There are some wires that do not match the other wires that they should plug into. I need some help finding out what they connect to. Here are some pictures. There is also a picture of the plug so you can see which set of wires I am talking about. Thanks.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: F9A1A579ACFAD1: October 1st, 2021

smudvapor

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"Lets stop thinking in terms of limitations and start thinking in terms of possibilities."

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Trying to sort that out is going to be tough without an EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual- Ford's wiring book) for your year model.

Which gray 8-pin connector is that? Any idea where it plugs to, or any wire colors that were in it originally?

There are some wires that do not match the other wires that they should plug into.
Also, that type of gray 8-pin connector is used in multiple locations. You can't rule out that in the past a differently-wire-colored connector was cut out of a donor, and used to replace a destroyed original 8-pin connector.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You NEED a 1988 Ranger/Bronco II EVTM

$42 here: https://www.crossroadbookstore.com/product/sku/60996

Here's the thing, Ford used EXACTLY the same wire colors in multiple systems
There are alot of color combinations, but wire costs money, so they repeat color combos, since its a separate system, and not at all confusing to a Ford Tech with an EVTM, lol
So a pink/black wire could be engine system, lighting system, fuel system, seat belt system and/or ALL 4

EVTM has the locations of connectors and sub-systems, includes all options as well
And wire colors for each system, and where each wire can be found for each system

smudvapor

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

There are alot of color combinations, but wire costs money, so they repeat color combos, since its a separate system, and not at all confusing to a Ford Tech with an EVTM, lol
So a pink/black wire could be engine system, lighting system, fuel system, seat belt system and/or ALL 4

EVTM has the locations of connectors and sub-systems, includes all options as well
And wire colors for each system, and where each wire can be found for each system
Thanks, I will order it and give it a try.

smudvapor

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks, I will order it and give it a try.

I received the book and I plan to start chasing everything down this weekend. I also got another harness coming to try to get all of this done. I will let you know.