• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring Conundrum

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
So on my 88 BII (Auto, electric 4x4, power locks/windows) the main engine harness and connectors at the left inner fender are trashed. I have scowered the internet and junk yards and came across a 2 wheel drive automatic 88 2.9 ranger( manual windows and locks) and got the engine harness, looks perfect. Also got the dash harness to get the connectors on the left fender well. As I replaced it last night I ran into a few connections that were not the same. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated or if it will not work at all I need to know. Same part # letters at the end are different. I'll have to crawl back in the dash and find the ones on the "new" harness.

Main connector concern is under the dash near the tunnel it is a square with one side domed. The dome and orientation notch are exactly opposite on the two harnesses..?

The other 2 concerned are inside the outer most portion of the dash on the left, new harness has 1 connector with less terminals, the other isn't there. Could not get a good pic.
IMG_20211128_075742273.jpg
IMG_20211128_075647246.jpg
IMG_20211128_075706243.jpg
IMG_20211128_075636594.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You are going to have to be a detective. I don't have the really nice Ford diagrams for a 1988, but if the "new" harness plugged in ok except for those few plugs, find out what those plugs go to that won't fit in the truck.

1. May be options you don't have or

2. You may have to run back to the truck were you got the harness and get the short harnesses that won't plug in.

Do you have any 1988 diagrams? If you figure out what these plugs that won't fit go to, I might be able to find the partial diagrams that may help out. But even a diagram is not going to make the plugs fit.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I believe a bunch of the diagrams in our tech library are that vintage.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I've been searching the library as I have time. I believe the square/domed connector goes to a black box that states "Do Not Drop" I almost snagged it out of the donor and got lazy... I'll check tonight or tomorrow to see if it has a part number. May just be able to swap connector housings and move pins. That's my hope so far. Thanks guys continued input is always helpful. Does anyone have a suggestion on finding the factory Ford manual?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I just bought an EVTM for my 86 on ebay... was like $20 shipped to my door. This is an original paper manual

I also bought an electronic reproduction (CD) of the service manual on ebay. I'm still on the fence with that purchase. Even though it's .pdf format and searchable... it is still clunky to navigate and I'm not certain its complete.

The service manual doesn't have the engine/emissions diagnosis information in it... that was it's own manual... I'm still looking for what I want to buy, I'm leaning toward buying the paper version.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
@Uncle Gump which manual is that I would need then? Any direction thanks.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
The EVTM would be my first choice. That has all your wiring and vacuum diagrams, connector pinouts and locations, circuit descriptions, etc. It's a valuable tool.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The '88s are kind of odd in some ways. One example: the power locks use relays, unlike the other first gens. Then in '89 the truck got a facelift, and a lot changed from that.

There are four major factory manuals for these older trucks.

EVTM- I totally agree with @ericphoto. The single best book in your case is the EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual). This breaks the electrics into individual systems, with good component location drawings, and good system operation description and troubleshooting.

Wiring Diagram- Large format, complete schematic in "one view". Good to have, for the "big picture", but not as helpful as the EVTM, in my opinion.

Shop Manual- Large books, great for anything mechanical. Mainly explains removal and reinstallation of all hard parts, and adjustment procedures where needed.

Emissions and Powertrain Manual- Large book, usually in a binder. This is the meat, when it comes to understanding and troubleshooting the engine management system.

The best place I've found to get all of these is eBay. If you're patient, and check often, they can be relatively inexpensive, too. I prefer paper, but a lot of this old stuff is also on CD.

An EVTM would be a real good investment for you, but if you can narrow down what '88 systems diagrams you need in the meantime, hit me up.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So on my 88 BII (Auto, electric 4x4, power locks/windows) the main engine harness and connectors at the left inner fender are trashed. I have scowered the internet and junk yards and came across a 2 wheel drive automatic 88 2.9 ranger( manual windows and locks) and got the engine harness, looks perfect. Also got the dash harness to get the connectors on the left fender well. As I replaced it last night I ran into a few connections that were not the same. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated or if it will not work at all I need to know. Same part # letters at the end are different. I'll have to crawl back in the dash and find the ones on the "new" harness.

Main connector concern is under the dash near the tunnel it is a square with one side domed. The dome and orientation notch are exactly opposite on the two harnesses..?

The other 2 concerned are inside the outer most portion of the dash on the left, new harness has 1 connector with less terminals, the other isn't there. Could not get a good pic. View attachment 68747View attachment 68748View attachment 68750View attachment 68749
The factory Ford 88 Bronco 11 wiring diagram is available from , Faxon Auto Literature. Have one and it shows everything , including part numbers for electrical plugs etc.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Thank you all for the info. I will see if I can hunt an EVTM down today. It will probably be tomorrow evening before I get much of a chance back at the truck to narrow down the exact info in question @RobbieD

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thank you all for the info. I will see if I can hunt an EVTM down today. It will probably be tomorrow evening before I get much of a chance back at the truck to narrow down the exact info in question @RobbieD
Good deal. If you can narrow down a little to which system or systems you suspect the problem connectors belong to, I'll see what I can find in the '88 EVTM and post it here. I work weird hours, so PM me, too, if I don't respond.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Ok will do Robbie thanks. I ordered one moments ago but it will be a week or two getting here.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Good! Once you get it, you'll be glad that you have it.

In the meantime, just let me know what diagrams might help you.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
The black box that says "do not drop" is for the windshield wiper delay. I had to replace it on my '88 - not fun.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
The black box that says "do not drop" is for the windshield wiper delay. I had to replace it on my '88 - not fun.
Those things seem to have been delicate in ‘88. In my ‘88 F150, the delay timer stopped working. I found the box. Pulled it out and it. Rattled. A capacitor had broken off the board. Went to Radio Shack. Bought a capacitor the right size and soldered it in. Delay wipers worked for the rest of the life of that truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals