• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring addition hazard light switch?

Pilot Laslo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger
I have installed strobes on the ranger for when driving around airport taxiways.
I would like to wire the hazards to turn on and off with my toggle switch I use for the strobes so that the strobes and hazards will be illuminated via a single switch and not have to turn on the toggle switch and the factory hazards switch mounted on steering column.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Pilot Laslo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
any ideas???

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It would be complex to do. In your situation you would need a 4 pole double throw relay like this;

It would be easier for you to just buy another flasher for this new circuit. You would have to find the 4 wires that lead to the 4 corner lights. You would need to cut these wires and run those circuits through the relay's normally closed contacts. That is the reason for the 4 poles on the relay.

On the normally open contacts you would tie them all together to one wire and then run to the new flasher. So when the relay was activated, it would pull all 4 corner lights off their regular circuits, and put all 4 onto the new flasher to flash.

Then of course you would ground one side of the coil on the new relay, and then run another single wire from the other side of the coil up to your switch that controls the other lights to send 12v power to the new relay coil.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It would be complex to do. In your situation you would need a 4 pole double throw relay like this;

It would be easier for you to just buy another flasher for this new circuit. You would have to find the 4 wires that lead to the 4 corner lights. You would need to cut these wires and run those circuits through the relay's normally closed contacts. That is the reason for the 4 poles on the relay.

On the normally open contacts you would tie them all together to one wire and then run to the new flasher. So when the relay was activated, it would pull all 4 corner lights off their regular circuits, and put all 4 onto the new flasher to flash.

Then of course you would ground one side of the coil on the new relay, and then run another single wire from the other side of the coil up to your switch that controls the other lights to send 12v power to the new relay coil.
I don't think it's that complicated. The strobes probably have their own control circuit. So they don't need a flasher.

A relay like you suggest will work. Or two normal relays, both powered by the toggle switch. One relay for the strobes and the other to power the flasher for the hazards. Simple

Pilot Laslo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think it's that complicated. The strobes probably have their own control circuit. So they don't need a flasher.

A relay like you suggest will work. Or two normal relays, both powered by the toggle switch. One relay for the strobes and the other to power the flasher for the hazards. Simple
yes my added strobes have a built in flasher, no relay just simply going to a toggle switch, I can easily add a relay to operate the hazards with my toggle but not sure where the flasher box is located and how to splice into it?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
yes my added strobes have a built in flasher, no relay just simply going to a toggle switch, I can easily add a relay to operate the hazards with my toggle but not sure where the flasher box is located and how to splice into it?
That's why I said it would be simpler just to go buy a cheap flasher and add it to the new 4 pole relay circuit. Less tying into the original truck's circuits. You would find a fused power all the time spot, run from that to the flasher, and then out of the flasher to the normally open side of the relay. So the relay would be connecting the trucks lights in a normal fashion when it was off, and when you activated the relay, it would put all 4 corners on the normally open side, which would put them all on the added flasher/fused circuit and let them flash with that.

The added new flasher would sit there with 12v on it and do nothing unless the 4 pole relay switched over and completed the circuit from the flasher to the 4 corner lights.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It’s going to be a LOT easier to turn 2 switches on than it is to wire it up.

The only way to have all 4 corners light up at the same time (without a bunch of rewiring) is to push the flasher button... it’s all built into the multifunction switch.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you can

You will need to put a relay on the full time 12v power wire for the 4-ways, it uses a separate power wire than the turn signals so no effect on those
Then leave the 4-way flasher button down all the time............BUT..............not sure how that effects turn signals, because I think its a mechanical switch

Then activate that relay with switch for strobe light activation

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yes, you can

You will need to put a relay on the full time 12v power wire for the 4-ways, it uses a separate power wire than the turn signals so no effect on those
Then leave the 4-way flasher button down all the time............BUT..............not sure how that effects turn signals, because I think its a mechanical switch

Then activate that relay with switch for strobe light activation
Look at the diagram I posted... if he kept the hazard switch push, it stops power from the stop light switch (A from page 90-2) from going to the rear bulbs. That would be an issue.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think its a mechanical switch in any case
But 3rd brake light would still be working either way

And if you have 4-way lights in use(i.e. Caution), brake lights would be a moot point I would think

There is a Splice under the dash for the Park lights
One brown wire OUT to rear, one brown wire OUT to front

The main light switch sends 12v out to that splice on a brown wire, at the splice is:
To dash dimmer
To GEM
To RAP module, flashes park lights when using FOB
To front park bubs
To rear park bulbs(also license plate lights, lol)

You could high jack those bulbs with two 5-pole relays, one on each brown wire after splice, and another Flasher module

No issue with brake lights or even turn signals, lol

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I think its a mechanical switch in any case
But 3rd brake light would still be working either way

And if you have 4-way lights in use(i.e. Caution), brake lights would be a moot point I would think

There is a Splice under the dash for the Park lights
One brown wire OUT to rear, one brown wire OUT to front

The main light switch sends 12v out to that splice on a brown wire, at the splice is:
To dash dimmer
To GEM
To RAP module, flashes park lights when using FOB
To front park bubs
To rear park bulbs(also license plate lights, lol)

You could high jack those bulbs with two 5-pole relays, one on each brown wire after splice, and another Flasher module

No issue with brake lights or even turn signals, lol
Sounds like it’s easier to just hit both switches when you need both the strobes and the hazards.... or install more strobes.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 on that ^^^

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals