• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wireless Routers

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok Gents, I've got an ancient Netgear g router. Some of our family's devices are n. I also need to have the network reaching out to our poolhouse. Here come the questions:
1. I understand that if you have an n router and g devices slow it down to g speed. How much is it a PITA to hook my n router to the cable box and plug my g router into it?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
idk what you're asking?

you want to go from your cable modem--to the n router-- to the g router? i don't understand? get a good N router or N+ and see if that will work distance wise for you... if not they make relay stations
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/ss/wirelessgear_7.htm

i've never used one.. i get the distance i need out of my router. if you're buying one i suggest a dual band. i have the netgear n600 dual band, we run 2 xbox's and several laptops and don't have any issues. we also have 12 meg internet tho...

buy a good router is my suggestion

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a netgear wireless n dual band and it has 5ghz for N and a dedicated 2.4ghz band for wireless g so you can have full speed wireless n and a separate band for g. You can also set it to have G+N share the 2.4ghz for certain devices that support N but only at 2.4ghz. It doesnt slow it down to G speeds but its slower than 5ghz wireless N and more susceptible to interference.

And no you cant run a router behind a router Unless your setting it to use as an access point and not a router. which you might want to think about if your signal wont reach to the pool house.

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Actually you CAN have a router behind a router, it just takes some extra setup.

First you need to get into your secondary router and turn off the DHCP service, then use a crossover cable from one of the LAN ports on router one to a LAN port on router 2.

This can actually be a better way to go because you can lock your new router in N only (so no slow down for new devices), and have the second router in G on a different channel so you have less cross talk between the two access points.

This is how I have my network set up.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
i have a netgear wireless n dual band and it has 5ghz for N and a dedicated 2.4ghz band for wireless g so you can have full speed wireless n and a separate band for g. You can also set it to have G+N share the 2.4ghz for certain devices that support N but only at 2.4ghz. It doesnt slow it down to G speeds but its slower than 5ghz wireless N and more susceptible to interference.
I have a Linksys that does the same thing. Great little unit!

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually you CAN have a router behind a router, it just takes some extra setup.

First you need to get into your secondary router and turn off the DHCP service, then use a crossover cable from one of the LAN ports on router one to a LAN port on router 2.

This can actually be a better way to go because you can lock your new router in N only (so no slow down for new devices), and have the second router in G on a different channel so you have less cross talk between the two access points.

This is how I have my network set up.
That is what i meant by using it for an access point.

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
AAAAA Missed that first read through, I kinda stopped reading after I saw you cant do it. . .. sorry

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I run my Netgear N router "Behind" my Cisco "gateway"

The Cisco box is both a WIRED router and my "Vonage Device"
for my VoiP phone service, but it has no WiFi and it MUST hook directly to the cable modem

AD

Last edited:

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I run my Netgear N router "Behind" my Cisco "gateway"

The Cisco box is both a WIRED router and my "Vonage Device"
for my VoiP phone service, but it has no WiFi and it MUST hook directly to the cable modem

AD
I have the same type of device for boosting sprint cell service inside my house called an airvana. You can actually put them behind a router but you have to login through the default gateway and match all the dhcp settings to your router so everything is in the same ip range. I tried hooking it up directly to the modem like its designed to but it was killing my upload speeds and double my ping delay so i had to put it behind the router.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad