• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wireless Routers

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok Gents, I've got an ancient Netgear g router. Some of our family's devices are n. I also need to have the network reaching out to our poolhouse. Here come the questions:
1. I understand that if you have an n router and g devices slow it down to g speed. How much is it a PITA to hook my n router to the cable box and plug my g router into it?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
idk what you're asking?

you want to go from your cable modem--to the n router-- to the g router? i don't understand? get a good N router or N+ and see if that will work distance wise for you... if not they make relay stations
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/ss/wirelessgear_7.htm

i've never used one.. i get the distance i need out of my router. if you're buying one i suggest a dual band. i have the netgear n600 dual band, we run 2 xbox's and several laptops and don't have any issues. we also have 12 meg internet tho...

buy a good router is my suggestion

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a netgear wireless n dual band and it has 5ghz for N and a dedicated 2.4ghz band for wireless g so you can have full speed wireless n and a separate band for g. You can also set it to have G+N share the 2.4ghz for certain devices that support N but only at 2.4ghz. It doesnt slow it down to G speeds but its slower than 5ghz wireless N and more susceptible to interference.

And no you cant run a router behind a router Unless your setting it to use as an access point and not a router. which you might want to think about if your signal wont reach to the pool house.

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Actually you CAN have a router behind a router, it just takes some extra setup.

First you need to get into your secondary router and turn off the DHCP service, then use a crossover cable from one of the LAN ports on router one to a LAN port on router 2.

This can actually be a better way to go because you can lock your new router in N only (so no slow down for new devices), and have the second router in G on a different channel so you have less cross talk between the two access points.

This is how I have my network set up.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
i have a netgear wireless n dual band and it has 5ghz for N and a dedicated 2.4ghz band for wireless g so you can have full speed wireless n and a separate band for g. You can also set it to have G+N share the 2.4ghz for certain devices that support N but only at 2.4ghz. It doesnt slow it down to G speeds but its slower than 5ghz wireless N and more susceptible to interference.
I have a Linksys that does the same thing. Great little unit!

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually you CAN have a router behind a router, it just takes some extra setup.

First you need to get into your secondary router and turn off the DHCP service, then use a crossover cable from one of the LAN ports on router one to a LAN port on router 2.

This can actually be a better way to go because you can lock your new router in N only (so no slow down for new devices), and have the second router in G on a different channel so you have less cross talk between the two access points.

This is how I have my network set up.
That is what i meant by using it for an access point.

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
AAAAA Missed that first read through, I kinda stopped reading after I saw you cant do it. . .. sorry

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I run my Netgear N router "Behind" my Cisco "gateway"

The Cisco box is both a WIRED router and my "Vonage Device"
for my VoiP phone service, but it has no WiFi and it MUST hook directly to the cable modem

AD

Last edited:

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I run my Netgear N router "Behind" my Cisco "gateway"

The Cisco box is both a WIRED router and my "Vonage Device"
for my VoiP phone service, but it has no WiFi and it MUST hook directly to the cable modem

AD
I have the same type of device for boosting sprint cell service inside my house called an airvana. You can actually put them behind a router but you have to login through the default gateway and match all the dhcp settings to your router so everything is in the same ip range. I tried hooking it up directly to the modem like its designed to but it was killing my upload speeds and double my ping delay so i had to put it behind the router.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals