• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wipers, dome light, and speedo not working

Tarboroboy

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4 in
Hello everyone first post, I just bought my first ranger and it is also 5.0 swapped from a 2000 mercury mountaineer. I'm not sure if something with that is my problem or if its just something on the ranger side. After I purchesed the truck I got it home and started to mess with suff and noticed the wipers would not work. He had also told me that the Speedo didn't work when I bought it. Then I started messing with the dome light and notice it wouldnt work at all either. Ive pulled and checked all the fuses in the door fuse box that I could find that might be involved with one of those things but none of them are blown. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful thank in advanced.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The speedo might just not he hooked up. Depending on what transmission was swapped in with the 5.0 the speedo connection may not match.

Unfortunately these are issues you will always have when buying someone elses project.

Tarboroboy

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4 in
The trans is a 4R70 and the Speedo is hooked to the trans but its still not working.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And this is a 1994 Ranger with a 2000 5.0l and EFI computer to run the 4R70W automatic?

Assuming 2WD

Is the instrument cluster a 1994?
Or did they swap in a newer one with electric speedometer?
Not sure why they would leave speedometer cable in place if they did

Pull out the speed sensor and cable hook up from transmission, check the Driven gear
Unit looks like the 2nd and 3rd picture down here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/speedometer.shtml

Make sure gear looks OK and that its locking to the shaft.
You can use a drill to spin the speedo cable to see if speedometer is working, if not then either cable is broken or speedometer is
Speedometer only registers/works when cable is turned one way, but turning it the other way doesn't hurt anything, you do that every time you back up :)

In 1994 fuse #2 in cab fuse box is a 6amp circuit breaker which powers wipers
Also the Multi-function switch which controls wipers can fail after years of use, my 1994 wiper switch barely works now

Fuse #1 in cab fuse box powers interior lights, all of them including dash lights, its a 15amp fuse

The main light switch has the dimmer control and also the manual ON switch for dome light(and cargo light if so equipped)
Each door switch should have 12volts and the switch CLOSES when door opens, that sends 12v to dome light

In 1995 Rangers cab wiring changed quite a bit so year is very important

Last edited:

Tarboroboy

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4 in
Sorry I never put the year ranger but the ranger is 1997 2wd but the trans has a 4wd transfer case until I can get the tail shaft changed and the drive shaft shortened. The #2 fuse in my cab is not installed so I wasnt sure what it went to but everything iv looked up about the fuse box hasnt said anything about the #2 fuse so I havent messed with it and when I get the chance I will get under it and check the pictures.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just looked your info and has 94 for Vehicle year

1997 has different fuse box than 1994, so no match up there, I will look those up

Fuse 16 in cab fuse box, 30amp, is for the wipers
And there are two Relays as well, in the engine fuse box, that can be bad
Go here to download 1997 owners manual: https://www.ranger-forums.com/general-technical-electrical-18/ford-ranger-owner-manuals-1996-2011-models-3747/
It has the fuse box layouts

Fuse 27 in cab fuse box, 10amps, is for the dome light, it also has a relay, in Relay Box #1 which is above gas pedal, has a blue or black cover on it

But wipers and dome light have no direct connection with the switches that activate them
In 1997 Rangers you have a Body Computer, its called the GEM(generic electronic module), it runs all the cab electrics, like wipers and dome light
GEM will activate "Door Ajar" light when door opens and also activate dome light at the same time
The Door switches are GROUNDS in 1997 and are located in the door latch at the bottom, and some people deactivate the door switches because of chime and door ajar light, lol
See if Dimmer Wheel next to light switch activates dome light

And 1997 does have an electric speedometer so there should be NO speedometer cable anywhere, not sure what you were seeing
On the output shaft of transfer case there may be a Speed sensor, 2 wires, but 2000 Explorer/Mountaineer 4R70W may not have it.
And this is why there is no speedometer signal, 1997 Ranger did have it, 1998 and up did not

Worst case, you can use a $85 speedometer interface like this one: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/category_id=287/mode=prod/prd126.htm
It uses the Rear Axle ABS signal and converts it to 8,000ppm signal the ford speedometer can use
But you must have some sort of speed sensor to the engine computer or transmission shifting would be noticeably harsh

Tarboroboy

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4 in
Ok everything I was reading was saying it maybe the GEM but have not try to ohm meter any of the connections yet to see if they are getting power. As for the trans Speedo I know the 4R70 has it on the side of the housing and the trans mission has has a large rpm rev from 2nd to 3rd but I am assumimg its from 3rd being broken. When it shifts to 3rd it just losses all power you can kinda feel it trying to go but nothing. I am putting it in the shop to have the transmission fixed thia week and was going to see if that fixed it. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is extremely smooth. It also still has the stock 7.5 ranger rear end I'm working on getting the mercy 8.8 and installing it into the ranger soon so I'm not sure what that will do but after I test everything and get the trans fixed ill keep updates posted. Thanks for all the help so far. I'm also new to this site and not sure why it says I have a 94 Ranger but I will look into it soon. Thanks again. i also forgot to add that i have no chime on my door when it is open and the dimmer switch does not turn on my dome light.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would think the 4R70W would have an OSS(output shaft speed) sensor but it won't be the right PPM(pulse per mile) for speedometer

In 2001 and up the computers did the conversion, in 1998 - 2000 the GEM did the conversion, 1997 GEM doesn't have that software or the wiring

You can't convert the 4R70W to a 2WD trans, well not cheaply, lol, need a 2WD main shaft
So if it needs a rebuild then shop for a 2wd 4R70W and rebuild it or use it as is until it needs a rebuild
All 2WD 4R70W have the speedo drive gear machined on to the main shaft, so you just need a 2WD tail shaft that has the hole to add the Driven gear and VSS(vehicle sped sensor), as seen in previous post

Tail shaft house with hole: https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-z514hb/products/908/images/1998/3089A_C__31070.1457041071.1280.1280.JPG?c=2

Tail shaft housing with filled in hole, 1998 and up: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6XQAAOSwHb9buJuX/s-l300.jpg
You can, of course, drill out the hole and drill and tap the set bolt hole

Yes, dome and wiper issue could be GEM, way more likely to be switch, wiring or relay issue than GEM

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals