• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Windshield chip kits

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Do they work or should I just call safelite? Got a tiny chip today (size of a pea) and last time I ignored one it cracked across the entire glass and had to buy a whole new windshield so I wanna fix it now. The little kits are only about 15 bucks but never used one.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
They can work, but as with everything it's a gamble depending on the stress acting on that part of the windshield and the angle and velocity you threw the potato last Thursday...

Best to get at it sooner than later and like you said $15 is cheaper than $150... I've used the kit with the screw to force the glue in and the syringe type, both worked ok if I remember right. One I did the windshield was apparently under stress and the crack was propagating pretty good so I tried to take a diamond drill bit in a Dremel to stop it like you would on fiberglass but I didn't go past the crack far enough... I think it helped though, I used some of the glue in that hole too.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
back in the 90s there were companies that would repair those kind of chips for 50 bucks. when I had Allstate for insurance, they would even waive my deductible if I had the window repaired instead of replaced, so they would pay the 60 bucks, and the company that did the work came out to where my car was. (work, home, school, behind your basement whatever) I would assume they exist today as well, and even if the cost is now 80 bucks, it is still cheaper than a replacement...

you could usually only see a slight imperfection where the rock chip was when it was done. and as long as the chip could be covered in its entirety with a quarter, they could repair it.

State Farm insurance did not have the waive the deductible clause and I had a nice star shaped rock chip in my Intrepid one summer and did not have the extra 50 bucks to pay, so I waited until the weather got cold and turned on the defrost which was right under the chip, and just like that, I saw the cracks run the entire lenght of the windshield and State Farm ended up replacing a 350 dollar windshield the next spring.

AJ

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i used the permatex kit on a small rock ship a few months ago. i just followed the directions and it seems to have worked fine. there's still a small visible imperfection but it appears to be filled/sealed.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've heard once you get some rainex or any oil in there there's no getting it out or any chance of anything sticking to it, so yes, that...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I had a couple done professionally years ago. The glue/filler they used was activated by UV rays or blacklight or something like that. That windshield lasted forever.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals