• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Windows 7 Upgrades (Clean Install)

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If you're running a "LEGAL" copy of Windows XP or Windows Vista, you only need to buy the upgrade version of Windows 7 to do a clean install.

I've held off from changing from windows XP forever, my hesitation wasn't helped by a Toshiba Laptop that I bought that had Vista on it and no XP drivers were available for it.

About a year ago, my wife and I upgraded our personal Laptops and they came with Windows 7 on them. I upgraded mine to 4 gig of RAM, but her's still has 2 gig. I have to admit that Windows 7 runs as good as XP with all the neat shit that Vista had. I highly recommend it, but I would consider the age of the computer, the processor and memory before taking the plunge.

Ok, I did the Toshiba Laptop. I booted on the Winderz 7 CD, told it I wanted to install, I chose custom. This allowed me to delete the primary partition and format it for the clean install.

The install went slow, but well. After a reboot it asked for the Product Key. I typed it in and it said it was invalid.

Here is the workaround, and it is acceptable with Micro$oft. Leave the product key blank, it will allow you to finish the install with a 30 day license. Boot to the new Winderz 7 install and cycle the cd in and out so that it autostarts. This time choose "Upgrade" and let it do the installation again, essentially upgrading the upgrade. It will now accept the product code and you can finish the upgrade.

Keep in mind that this is a "CLEAN" install. Meaning if you follow these steps, you will lose EVERYTHING in Winderz, all your files and settings.

I like Winderz 7, I was hesitant, but it didn't take me long to be impressed.

Oh, if you have a Toshiba Laptop, do NOT do the BIOS upgrades on their website, it will set an arbitrary password at boot up and you will have to pay to have it fixed after December 10th, 2010.

SJ

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wonder if this would work for my comp. I have a educational version of XP Pro.(unlimited licenses)

I would like to upgrade to see what 7 is all about, just not sure if I can.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Sure, it should go without a problem. If you're planning on installing the 64 bit version, be SURE to check that 64 bit video drivers are available through the vendor's website. I ended up having to reinstall the 32 bit version on the Toshiba because Toshiba didn't offer 64 bit drivers for it's video (not only for 7 but for Vista as well).

I upgraded my gaming PC, it scores a 6.8 out of 7.9 for video, memory and Processor. The lone hold back was the speed of my hard drive. It's an i5 with 4 gig of ram and a invidia 9800 GT with a gig of memory. In contrast my laptop with 4 gig of ram scored a 3.3.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I wonder if this would work for my comp. I have a educational version of XP Pro.(unlimited licenses)

I would like to upgrade to see what 7 is all about, just not sure if I can.
It's easier (and right now cheaper at newegg) to just buy an OEM copy of 7. You get a clean install from a blank hard drive and as far as I've seen it still can be moved to a different PC later (but still only 1 at a time).

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Don't get caught...
This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows.
Just pick up THIS and you'll be set for not only your laptop, but 2 other computers.

Last edited:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. I'll check into it.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

Oh, if you have a Toshiba Laptop, do NOT do the BIOS upgrades on their website, it will set an arbitrary password at boot up and you will have to pay to have it fixed after December 10th, 2010.

SJ
Why? I just did my new lap top a couple of weeks ago and no password showed up.

igiveup

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you are going to install 7, make sure to get the Ultimate version. It is by far the best of the 3 versions.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Don't get caught...

Just pick up THIS and you'll be set for not only your laptop, but 2 other computers.
Be aware that the Holiday three pack is for win7 HOME edition.

If you have any older applications that need Win7-Pro's "XP emulation mode" to operate they might noot work in Win7 Home.

AD

AD

Sparkz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You CAN do a clean istall (RAW DRIVES) with a windows 7 upgrade disk,, yes it can be done windows dont like it but it can be done

good site to start with is Sevenfourms
I have a few machines all white box machines and run 7 on them

XP needs a full install for a raw install fresh install

shout if you need more

Sparkz

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I ended up getting win 7 ultimate 64bit. Had my daughter buy it at school. only cost 20.00

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Most of the "Upgrade" installers will allow you to do a CLEAN install

I recommend that you save your Docs, music itunes stuff has different issues) and files
(browser favorites) e-mail to an EXTERNAL drive.

You'll probably need specific advice for preserving any files in your iTunes library
(Atleast for the "protected" *.m4p files)
and you'll also need specific advice on extracting the CoA for your Microsoft office
(if you have and use it)

Then with the installed disc take the "Advance drive options" and DELETE all partitions on the drive

ESPECIALLY any "Factory restore" partition, because you don't really want a "Factory restore" that jumps you back to your old OS do you?

when times come to format the "Raw" drive select approximatly 60-75gb for the Partition
where you want the installer to install windows 7 (leave the rest of the drive "unpartitioned" until after the intallation is done, use that as a DATA partition later
and make it a point to store all your music and video on that partition..

this tends to make the OS partition less "cluttered" and less prone to fragmentation (which leads to the "slows" later on)

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals