• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Window Tint Options?

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
As much as I would like to keep my Ranger windows untinted, I have to now because the California sun is unforgiving and so are people's headlights in the night.

I have double limo tint on my mustang, but I'm hesitant making all windows that black because then my truck will look more like a bumblebee.

Any %s y'all recommend, or a combo of %'s that would compliment my 2nd gen ranger?

Thanks!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's a nice looking truck there :)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I have a Buddy who owns a tint shop here in Florida. He has this UV Protectant film, goes on like tint, but is almost clear. I forget what it is called, but maybe something like that will work for you. Oh yeah, it's more expensive than tint is.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
They may well be, sir, was yours made in MN ? Mine was on 03/93
Yes indeedy, mine was made in MN in 11/92. So mine is approaching 27 years next month.

I have a Buddy who owns a tint shop here in Florida. He has this UV Protectant film, goes on like tint, but is almost clear. I forget what it is called, but maybe something like that will work for you. Oh yeah, it's more expensive than tint is.
Huh, i didn't know that was a thing, awesome. I'll see if the tint shop i go to has that option.

So what % do people recommend if i go the traditional route?

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I called my tint shop, it would cost me $150 for all 5 windows. $300 if i go with the clear ceramic, so no on that.

I think im leaning towards 20% for all windows, or 20% in the front 4, 15% in the rear window.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If at all, I'd go with 70 myself, just want good line of vision, at least to front and sides, the rearview as well I suppose

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I did 50% on front windows left rear doors at factory 30% then did 20% on rear window that had factory 30% to cut down on head light glare, also did 2.5% banner on front window down to avs1 line that way it was legal I dont like having the visors down they block my view to much. vision is fine at night with those levels of tint IMO.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Search Amazon, They have pre-cut window tint pieces so install is extremely easy for anyone. I myself for nighttime visibility I like 35, plus I can't go darker and get an inspection here in MA. on the fronts and rear windows. ON the back side windows of my old Cherokee I ran limo tint and hated it when I had to try and look out it at night on the trials.

Just my opinion having tinted before.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I did 50% on front windows left rear doors at factory 30% then did 20% on rear window that had factory 30% to cut down on head light glare, also did 2.5% banner on front window down to avs1 line that way it was legal I dont like having the visors down they block my view to much. vision is fine at night with those levels of tint IMO.
Search Amazon, They have pre-cut window tint pieces so install is extremely easy for anyone. I myself for nighttime visibility I like 35, plus I can't go darker and get an inspection here in MA. on the fronts and rear windows. ON the back side windows of my old Cherokee I ran limo tint and hated it when I had to try and look out it at night on the trials.

Just my opinion having tinted before.
Do you guys have photos of your trucks with the tint on?

I have seen that, but i never thought to do it myself. I'll watch some videos, thanks!

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I wish I had the pics of my 86 Jeep Cherokee Chief 2dr but they didn't make it out of my divorce in one piece plus they were not digital. I can get you a pic or few of an 08 F250 with 35% tint on it if it could help you decide. I haven't done my Ranger yet due to the petty little WTF now's that keep happening with the truck at the moment, you know how that is having a 93.

all you need for the pre-cut film is a rubber squeegee, about the length of a credit card, and a squirt bottle with a very mild soap and water mix. You remove the clear backing off of tint and spry that side of the tint with the solution, spray the window with the solution then put it against and squeegee out the water and soap. The soap allows for the film to slide and shift into place properly before sticking.

EDIT: OH the F250 also has the pre-cut installed on it.

Last edited:

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I wish I had the pics of my 86 Jeep Cherokee Chief 2dr but they didn't make it out of my divorce in one piece plus they were not digital. I can get you a pic or few of an 08 F250 with 35% tint on it if it could help you decide. I haven't done my Ranger yet due to the petty little WTF now's that keep happening with the truck at the moment, you know how that is having a 93.

all you need for the pre-cut film is a rubber squeegee, about the length of a credit card, and a squirt bottle with a very mild soap and water mix. You remove the clear backing off of tint and spry that side of the tint with the solution, spray the window with the solution then put it against and squeegee out the water and soap. The soap allows for the film to slide and shift into place properly before sticking.

I think now i'm leaning towards 35% all around, or 50% in the front, 35% in the rear three windows. It's true, if they're too dark i can't see anything at night off road.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Clean the glass first very well. Use a razor blade across all the glass to remove any small stuck on particles. Then clean and dry the glass a couple times. You are trying to avoid any particles getting lodged between the film and glass.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals