• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Window and Power steering questions

Morgen01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Recently I had my truck on its side and it ruined the entire left side. Lucky for me, I was able to go to a yard and grab a door and a fender on the cheaps. The issues with my door are the wiring.... I have a truck with hand crank windows non-power locks etc. I assumed that I would be able to hook into the ignition and power the window with a simple switch(any suggestions on how to use the window would be great). The steering is also a bit odd because of its rough feeling when you turn the wheel hard. Is the steering rough because its needing more fluid or are there other issues to worry about?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I installed the power windows mirrors on my 94 I wired in a separate fuse block that is hot all time so windows work key on or off. I put relays in the system to keep the windows set up. I used a wire diagram for a 97 as that is the veh I got the parts off. Just about any maint manual has the wire diagram. A fused switch would be the same so it really does not need tied into the key unless that is what you want, then you need to find a hot wire when key is on from the fuse panel.

As to the steering, was there any damage to the left wheel? Check the fluid level as the resevoir is on the left side, and it may have spilt out and you now have air in the system. Just a guess.

Morgen01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I installed the power windows mirrors on my 94 I wired in a separate fuse block that is hot all time so windows work key on or off. I put relays in the system to keep the windows set up. I used a wire diagram for a 97 as that is the veh I got the parts off. Just about any maint manual has the wire diagram. A fused switch would be the same so it really does not need tied into the key unless that is what you want, then you need to find a hot wire when key is on from the fuse panel.

As to the steering, was there any damage to the left wheel? Check the fluid level as the resevoir is on the left side, and it may have spilt out and you now have air in the system. Just a guess.
Sorry for the extremely late response:
As for the window still have not wired it yet(Procrastination).
The power steering fluid is a deep red and can easily stain your reservoir to look like its at a decent level mine was not and I have learned that lesson. Filled it up and after turning the wheels for a bit it smoothed out.

You took a fuse box from a 97(Do I need a box)? I recently ordered a Haynes book I haven't had the time to look at the wiring section yet but Ive heard its awful. Thanks for the feedback.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no I got an accessory fuse strip from a parts house wired it in to the hot side of the starter relay. I have hot windows all the time as well as seats. Everything runs through relays.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals