• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

will the ranger work for me?

alexl

Reaction score
hi, i am new here and would like to have a few questions answered. I am on the market for a truck, but with rising gas prices, i think the wise desision would be to get a ranger, mostly because im a ford guy. now my question is this. I am a dj, so i am wanting to know if the ranger will suit my needs. I will need to pull a 10-12 foot enclosed trailer to put all my gear in. The gear weighs between 1000-1200 pounds, plus the weight of the trailer(i dont know what a 10-12 foot enclosed would weigh? What model ranger, if any, will work for me. I am not dead set on either 2wd or 4wd, but 4wd is a little more desirable for me. could you guys tell me a good year(or generation)motor, trans, 2x4 or 4x4, that is right for me. Also extended cab, standard, or short or long bed? Would it be beneficial to get an air bag assist system, or custom build a 5th wheel/gooseneck style tounge for the trailer?

Thanks for all of the help,
alex

EDIT: i would of course use a trailer with electric brakes.

Last edited:

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would get the extended cab, more leg room, and make sure you get a ranger with the 4.0 motor, that will tow what you wont. i dont know what your budget is but probly a newer rig 98 plus, if you put a add aleaf in the rear you should be o.k., for got to say welcom. good luck.

alexl

Reaction score
id like to keep it under 5 grand, but could posibly go a little higher. What is the difference as far as towing capabilitys between the 3rd gen(93-97) then 4th (98-present) Would a third gen tow just as good?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking at a little trailer, 6x12. This is the 2008 Ranger towing guide. They really want to sell you a 4.0, don't they? There was a time that the lowly 2.8 V6 was rated to tow almost 6,000#. I would say that any Ranger would tow a 2,500 load without blinking. You certainly don't need to fabricate a gooseneck for that--but it would be cool.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Id say you could get a 3rd gen with that budget. I got mine for only 1000.
But since your budgets around 5k, you could get a nicer truck. Some third gens get "tired" and lose power. My 3.0 V6 only has about the same amount of power as a little 4cyl.

You also said that gas prices is why you chose a ranger, so you would want one thats only 2wd, and with a manual tranny of course. Gets better gas milage.

Mine doesnt have a hitch, so ive never been able to tow. So I wouldnt know how well each does. But I would say a 3.0 would be capable of towing.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
if you are going to tow try to find a 4.10 geared truck

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
lower gears are your best bet. i have a 6x10 haulmark that weighs about 1,000 empty. it has a high roof, about 8' (6 ft interior height) my biggest problem is wind resistance on the front of the trailer while going down the road. i have the 4.0 with 3.73's sometimes i wonder how 4.56's would do. i get 17-19 without the trailer and about 15 at best pulling the trailer, i dont use o/d. i almost think a 1/2 ton 302 would do the job just as well and have a litle more power behind it.

________
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lower gears are your best bet. i have a 6x10 haulmark that weighs about 1,000 empty. it has a high roof, about 8' (6 ft interior height) my biggest problem is wind resistance on the front of the trailer while going down the road. i have the 4.0 with 3.73's sometimes i wonder how 4.56's would do. i get 17-19 without the trailer and about 15 at best pulling the trailer, i dont use o/d. i almost think a 1/2 ton 302 would do the job just as well and have a litle more power behind it.
A 302 half ton might get 15 empty, I can't see it getting any better than your Ranger pulling your trailer.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your talking less than 2,000lbs...probably closer to 1800. you could do that with a 4 banger if you were patient...and you'd get 25+ MPG unloaded.

i'd go with a 3.0 though (but then...im biased :icon_twisted:). you have a medium load, get a medium engine. i average 20 MPG unloaded (closer to 24 with proper gearing)...and got about 17-18 towing a 3,000lb enclosed trailer across state.

if you wont miss 4wd...dont get it. it adds weight (less MPG and less power for towing) and complexity (higher maintainence costs).

i dont mind my single cab (personally, i think they look better)...but if you need a lot of junk within arms reach, get an extended cab.

i always vote for a 5 speed. more
reliable, cheaper, better economy. of coarse, for someone thats never towed with a stick before, your clutch life may not be long. lower gears will help save the clutch.

for that small of a load, the stock rear suspension will be just fine. just make sure you learn how to PROPERLY load the trailer. trailer brakes are also unnecessary, and you'll probably find most trailers in that range dont come equipped with brakes.

alexl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys guys, they help alot. the reason i am wanting a 3rd gen is because even though my budget is 5 grand, id rather spend less, because i also have to purchase a trailer. Allthough i will probably get a flatbed trailer and make it inclosed. My idea is to build removable 4' tall sides, because i woudlnt not stack my equipment more than 4 feet high anyway-SCARY. and have bows that go across and a heavy duty tarp to cover the top. Being 4 feet tall, it would also have considerable less wind resistance.

EDIT: the reason i will probably go with the 4.0 is because i want to make sure if i haul a little more at times it can handle it. I currently drive a 5 speed, and do just fine with it, i will take a manual over auto any day. Although i havent towed with a stick, i think i could learn quickly. Also, i am a country boy, so loading a trailer right...no sweat.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the 4.0 is a trade off. it has more power than the 3.0...but also gets 15-20% lower fuel economy. i can almost guarantee a 3.0 will be able to accomplish what you'll be asking of it (i tow with mine all the time, and i have bad gearing to boot), but its up to you.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I would get a 2wd 5-spd with one of the V-6s. The one thing you don't want is an auto. Ranger auto's aren't all the great to begin with and daily towing duties aren't going to help.

FWIW, I've towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer with my 4-banger ranger. I did it just fine, except it wouldn't go much over 45 mph.

My 4.0 explorer on the other hand is capable of maintaining 75 mph with the same trailer in tow so long as there's not much of a headwind. Those enclosed trailers will kill you if there's a headwind.

BrokeRecord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For towing 2,000 or less, the wind resistance on a box trailer is going to eat up more power then the weight. I tow 2 different trailers. one for my motorbike~900lbs, and my boat~1200 lbs. Both offer decent aero and I can do anything I want and get 18mpg on a 400 miles round trip on the hyway. 4 liter and 3.73gears.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals