• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will It FIT?!?!

Byrd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
67'
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352 soon to be 460
Transmission
Automatic
Just had my DD stolen (Honda Civic, go figure) and wouldn't you know it I had just picked up my newly reworked 2.3 head from the shop a day and a half before It got jacked! Bah.

Sob Story aside, I just got a handle on a 2.3L motor out of a 96 Ranger with 69k on the clock. I need to know If it will snap in to my 91 or not. Seeing as the 96 appears to have a few more electrical sensors and what not I'm thinkin not but I figured If it could be done the people here would be the ones to ask. Also, if even just the head will bolt on I still might would pick it up since I live in Hawaii, and these heads are hard to find on the mainland let alone on this rock in the middle of the ocean.

Anyways, Thanks in advance for any help/insight you can send my way!

-Byrd :icon_cheers:

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It will fit but there is quite a bit of changing to do.All of the internalparts will interchanged if you have like a broken rod.If you want to use that motor,you have to drill and tap holes in the front of the block to bolt the 91 crank sensor(it does have a sensor not a Dist,right?)Or you can get the whole complete harness from the 96 and put it in your truck

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't quite know what ^that^ guy is talking about, but if you're trying to put an engine from a 96 into your 91, yes, it will be a good deal harder... I know you will need the entire engine harness, and computer from the '96, plus some other stuff more than likely (I'm not 100% sure)... Then you will have to sit down and re-pin the harness to make it work with everything on the other side of the firewall... IMO, too much trouble... I'd find an engine from a pre-95 Ranger...

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You would have to do alot of electrical work to put that engine in, so it is not a snap in, in 1994-95 ford went from the 60 to 104 pin computer. Better to find a 89-93 94 2.3 that had a 60 pin computer.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
We have changes several motors from +95 back to 91-94.Used all the 94 sensors and such.We had a template made up to locate the holes to drill and tap.There are several guys on here that have wrote and we sent them a copy of the template.Used the +95 intake,couple brackets to fab for coils.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals