• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will a Toyota Solid Axle fit??

redneck87ranger

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
my buddy is running stock toyota axles on his toy with stock birfs and 38x16'' wide tsl's and with a heavy foot. he has never broke a birf. and i have owned many toyotas and ive never broke a birf. you just have to know how to drive not to break stuff. that means not turning it at full tilt and hammering down on it! i have been thinking about doing this swap to my ranger just for the simple fact that i know my way around a toyota more than a ranger.! thanks bones for telling how you did your swap i might do that to my ranger now.

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
No problem bud, just trying to give back to a forum that has given me so much! :D

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Sick yoter Nathan.

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
there a guy down the road from me has early 90s ranger on toy axles and bigger tires and he does realy well he has it sit up like the early bronco suspension

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have actually been toying around with this idea for a while, i know how to make the front wide enough, this might be a take id undertake if i could ever get someone to buy my ford lol

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
only problem i see is the width. my buddy has a 83 toyota and hes on 36x14.50r15s has a lead foot tries everything and never has had a problem

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have seen the Toy axles stand major abuse from a small block and 37's,They are pretty impressive!
+1 if i ever had to build something and it couldnt be a ford, my second choice would be a toy

Last edited:

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
so far ive done 3 sas this winter 2 to mazdas both with toyota axles they are far stringer then a half ton axle and they are narrower if your running on the street. plus like was said b4 thyere stupid easy to service.

im working on getting a landcruiser axle under the front of my samurai with a toyota rear as well and its going onto 38s.

also doing a datsun pickup with 350 swap and chevy solid axles and they ONLY reason we are doing chevy axles is they came with the donor truck of the 350 lol

id go for toyota any day over a half ton. especially if you need to keep the tires under the body

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I was wondering, my first Toy had the push pull steering with that silly short drag link, sucked for drooping out the drivers tire, now I have the 8" axles under my 68 Land Rover with a ScoutII saginaw box doing steering duties, no bind yet, tho my short leaf springs don't flex near as much as what you have pictured.

Interesting about the bind, makes sense tho, I'll keep that in mind for when I modify my front suspension for more articulation.

Thanks for the reply and info man, much appreciated.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
How do you deal with the 4½" width difference between a Toyota and the Ranger? Is this something you do when reworking the housings? (in which case one or both of your shafts must be custom, which would have to add a little cost vs. off-the-shelf stuff)

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
How do you deal with the 4½" width difference between a Toyota and the Ranger? Is this something you do when reworking the housings? (in which case one or both of your shafts must be custom, which would have to add a little cost vs. off-the-shelf stuff)
I believe the land cruiser axles are wider than the pickups, not sure though.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
theres also the landcruiser axles that measure out the same 59.5" with the 9.5" ring gear. this is what im working on right now and im using the landcruiser front axle mixed with the ifd trucks rear axle they end up the same width.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals