• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will a little gear oil affect fresh RTV

SamC777

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
94 Ranger 3.0. Just resealed my diff cover, but there was still a little gear oil dripping out. I'd let it drain for about 30 min already while I was cleaning the surfaces. It was at a very slow, but noticeable drip.

I put the RTV on the cover and did my best to wipe the oil away and keep more from coming out before I placed the cover on. I placed it and tightened the bolts down, but I think I still see oil coming through.

Will this affect the seal? Should I have waited longer to let it drain? Do I gotta redo this?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Clean = a good seal with RTV... it will not stick to oil. Best way I've found to drain axles is to drive it & get the fluid hot, then immediately pull the cover and let it drain for a couple hours. There is a little trough in the bottom where oil will accumulate - scoop that out after it's drained for a while and any oil left in the diff will drip into that and not run out onto the surface that the cover mounts on.

You need the diff cover mounting surface and its mounting surface on the diff to be very clean. Red brake cleaner cuts the oil off best. You also need to remove any remnants of old gaskets or RTV from both surfaces... as clean as possible for a good seal.

I run a bead on the cover, put it on and tighten the bolts finger tight. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes and then snug them up. Let it sit for a minimum of a few hours, preferably overnight before filling it. You just risk a leak if you deviate from that process.

SamC777

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Clean = a good seal with RTV... it will not stick to oil. Best way I've found to drain axles is to drive it & get the fluid hot, then immediately pull the cover and let it drain for a couple hours. There is a little trough in the bottom where oil will accumulate - scoop that out after it's drained for a while and any oil left in the diff will drip into that and not run out onto the surface that the cover mounts on.

You need the diff cover mounting surface and its mounting surface on the diff to be very clean. Red brake cleaner cuts the oil off best. You also need to remove any remnants of old gaskets or RTV from both surfaces... as clean as possible for a good seal.

I run a bead on the cover, put it on and tighten the bolts finger tight. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes and then snug them up. Let it sit for a minimum of a few hours, preferably overnight before filling it. You just risk a leak if you deviate from that process.
So in other words, I'm pulling it off and redoing it. If it won't stick to oil and some got in between, then it's probably not going to mate to the surface. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Thank you for your insight!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Technically, RTV needs to set for 24 hours untouched by anything, in order to work properly. Works for me, I use it on everything.

So yeah, you're redoing it. Take cfover off, let it drain overnight. Wipe it inside with something before you put the RTV on, make sure there is nothing that can drip out for 24 hours.

My Lightning, the trans pan and diff cover have o-rings and drain plugs. Just put a little oil on them and install. Does anyone make a diff cover for the Ford 7.5 that has a drain plug?

I think TA Performance may make a cover for the 7.5. It will have a drain plug on it. Also a fill plug.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yep I would redo it. I know that kinda sucks but now you know.

LubeLocker makes a reusable gasket for the 7.5" diff, not sure how they work with the thin metal or plastic factory covers but they work really well with aftermarket (ie, thick, non-flexible) covers. I've used them on D44's, D35, 9".... excellent product and way easier & faster than RTV.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Personally I'd run it and see. If it leaks then fix it. I would run a smooth bead on the clean cover and let it harden overnight, then install. Even if there is a bit of oil on the diff it should seal.

SamC777

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got it. Took it off, recleaned the surfaces, waited til it stopped dripping, and laid a new bead. She'll sit overnight. Thanks, y'all

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Personally I'd run it and see. If it leaks then fix it. I would run a smooth bead on the clean cover and let it harden overnight, then install. Even if there is a bit of oil on the diff it should seal.
You're using it like an o-ring that way. Suppose it would work. I lay a bead and install it, wait 24 hours then fill it. Never had a leak.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals