• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

will a hot alternator kill an engine

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Coil is easy, test voltage to it hot and cold by probing the connector that plugs into it... then test the coil itself by seeing if you have spark. Power to the coil and no spark = bad coil.

Think you need an oscilloscope to test the EDIS module accurately, it is basically just an electronic distributor that tells the coil when to fire. They rarely fail but it's possible. I believe you could test the crank sensor with a scope too, it generates AC voltage, you would want to see pulses there...an analog multimeter on AC mode might also give you an idea if it's working or not.

I don't know why issues with those parts would show up warm at low idle. May end up having nothing to do with those things, just throwing out what comes to mind first. If you're sure it's not fuel related... I'm not sure what else would cause it, especially not starting again after it dies.

I've had some really weird issues over the years. One was a seemingly random zero voltage at the fuel pump, would just not work occasionally. I finally traced it down to a relay that would soak up moisture from who knows where and stick open. Had an F250 that would try to start itself with nobody in the truck and the ignition off... horn button on a Ranger that would start honking the horn in sub zero temperatures by itself.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Hot or cold absolutely affects ignition issues.

It's classic

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes the easier way to test a coil is to look at the epoxy for cracks or tracking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals