• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

will 31 in. tires fit on my 89 ranger?

Constructionman USN

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im not sure if the body style is the same as the newer model's since everyone says they fit the 2000's but mine is 89 so i dont want to buy them then risk it not fitting. if anyone has any experience with this let me know asap thanks guys for the help. Oh and its 2wd if that makes a difference

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
31's come stock on the newer body style... i've heard a lot of people saying they need to lift their truck before getting the 31's under on the older bodies, if you do a search, this question has been answered many times in the past

Constructionman USN

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
this is one of my last resorts, i've looked all over with no luck on older trucks. im sure a body lift wouldn't hurt though but that also comes with more money

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
body lifts are under 500 for everything... i got mine, which included everything i needed for my 07, except a fuel line extension, for about 320$... it's worth the money imo, i think for yours though, you have to make custom bumper brackets... but i could be wrong...

i meant a search of this site, try the search button on the top, it doesn't work for me for some reason, they are working on fixing it for me... lol, just search for "gen 1 tire fittment" or something along those lines

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you're welcome, welcome to the site btw

Constructionman USN

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah just created the account today, im learning alot from the forums its a great site

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
FYI.........the tire WIDTH is what gave me problems on my '89 2wd......

225/15's rub when turning/hitting a bump going into a parking lot.....I also had to roll up the sharp edge of the rear fenders with a rubber mallet to keep from cutting the outter walls of the tires when carrying a load.....

highway driving was no problem.....

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im pretty sure i remember seeing in the tech library that it is something like 2" needed for 31's on my '89. I'm not exactly sure because this was a while ago, but i think u wanted 2". Just check and look for something called "tirefitment" or soemthing like that lol

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
yes they will fit, even if you wanted a body lift you can get one for $100 thats what mine was from performance accessories

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, body lifts are like ~$100, but with a 1989 you'll probably need to replace the body mount bushings as well, so thats another $80 or so...

I have 31x10.50 tires on my 88 bronco2, on the stock rims, and when the suspension bottoms out in the back, they rub on the inside of the tire well, and they rub the sway bar (which I have since pulled out) when you turn the tires all the way on the front. And the tires are pretty worn out... A mud tire with big tread blocks would be way too much.

Alternatively you can replace the shackle (belltech 6400, or comparable model) or leaf springs (Explorer springs), or add blocks on the rear to gain a bit of suspension lift... Although I would not do blocks until you've exhausted other options like leafs and shackles.

Also, You probably want to check the condition of your spring hangers (the things the mount the leafs to the frame) as they are prone to needing replacement, especially the back ones.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if it's 4x4 they will fit an '89 without a lift unless it's a bronco II. they will rub the radius arms and sway bar, but they're both round so it won't hurt the tires too bad

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
do the explorer leaf spring swap and the washer lift in the tech library and you'll be fine to run 31's

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals