• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wid Horses Wrap Trap

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Has anyone used Wild Horses Wrap Trap?

Thoughts? Results?

Doing a V-8 conversion on the BII, and it's going to be a clean build. Plan to truss the 8.8 and looking at axle wrap options.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That style would work but would still limit articulation some and I don't think the geometry would work out if you had lift blocks at all... Since you would have to modify it anyway I'm not sure I'd spend $200 on that... That and trussing an 8.8 is overkill for a Bronco II, just weld the seam between the axle tubes and diff (I broke a plug weld, it's a thing...) and fab your own traction bar if there's room on the drivers side (since you don't have a fuel tank there like on the Rangers). On my Ranger I built my own traction bar with some metal from the steel yard and some Ruffstuff BUSHED SLEEVES, I have less than $100 into my traction bar I think, took 4 of those bushed sleeves, the assembly before and after install looks like this:

20200411_113642.jpg
20200411_150944.jpg

I have to say it works magical... it accelerates flat instead of squatting when the axle twists and the suspension seems to work just as good as it did before... as you can see I had a very narrow window between the frame and exhaust... from how it was before I had to relocate the passenger side shock bracket...

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. I've already welded the axle tubes, and no lift blocks. I'l be using a new spring pack. I made the old one to haul/tow and it's stiff as a board without a lot of weight on it. This build is for more of an over landing rig, and I'll probably add auxiliary airbags if it needs help with the tear drop.

I'll be doing the fab work, but looking at which design I want to use. I'm not all that concerned about flex. How much flex am I going to get out of a leaf spring, anyway. But I don't want to put any more stress on the system than necessary. Hell...that's the point.

I liked the Wrap Trap because it's out of the way, and wont interfere with exhaust. But I can see some potential downsides and appreciate the input.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Has anyone used Wild Horses Wrap Trap?

Thoughts? Results?

Doing a V-8 conversion on the BII, and it's going to be a clean build. Plan to truss the 8.8 and looking at axle wrap options.
if you're going to truss it, why not 4 link it?

I'd be curious how the TJ geometry would work out https://www.artecindustries.com/tj88swap-tri

Last edited:

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not all that unhappy with leafs. I'm not building a rock rig, and the expense of going linked and coil overs could be put into better components for the task.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals