• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

why

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I won't drive an s10 because I had 2 bad experiances with them. It really was the lack of care and a bad transmission guy and not so much the truck.

I actually think ford builds a better car. They ride so much better. And have a heavier feel to them.

And just because I don't like s10s doesn't mean I won't use the running gear outta them.

You gotta remember, Im working with next to no cash, and I had the drivetrain sitting in my backyard.

If I had the money. I'd stick a 347 stroker in it. But I can't cause I'm broke

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Like my dad used to say," There ain't nothing wrong with being poor, it's just a little unhandy!":icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you wont drive there trucks but youll use there mill makes no sense to me but im as brand loyal as it gets i used to have yota and chebys once and awhile but i learned my lesson quick my 95 f150 302 sold me to the blue oval camp 256k miles ran mint would boil the tires all day i up graded to a 2008 f150 and im happy so far and ive had 8 mustangs all of them took more of a beating than i could believe i cant believe how tough windsor based motors are nitrous all day ive only blown up one and i was doing nitrous burnouts with it :icon_thumby:
Nothing wrong at all with a GM powerplant, they make a darn good engine.

I do get sick of seeing all the SBC repowered hotrods at car shows though, it is hardly hardly original at this point. Take an old Ford car chop the top, put in a 350 with a 700R4 trans and a Ford 9" in it, add paint and wheels of your choice and call it your "custom" hodrod... just like the other 20 cars in your class.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya know the saying

I'm as cheap as a penny and single as a dollar bill

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya know the saying

I'm as cheap as a penny and single as a dollar bill
And that is fine, but most guys that are building hodrods don't seem to be on a really tight budget. They more than anyone are what irk me at the concept, they make them so cookie cutter boring I normally don't even bother to go over to look at them. It has been very well documented that they fit about anywhere (a guy I work with even has one in a 1930's Farmall F-20 tractor) so it isn't like we are breaking new ground here.

Chevy parts demand is high enough in my area that most Ford stuff seems to about be going for scrap if you can find it. I am under $200 so far for running 302 (that I am rebuilding while it is out) and a set of E7 heads. A rebuilt C4-C5 mutant tranny was $200 with the factory shifter, factory '94 Mustang headers were free, factory Ford 4bbl Holley was also free. Explorer 8.8 rear axle with l/s and disc brakes with springs was $100. When I am done the only parts that are not also found in a half ton truck will be the front axle and tcase, and the front axle is next after the engine is done.

It all depends on what your timeline is (I have been packing crap away for years, mainly because I didn't have enough money to do it all at once), and how lucky you are, who you know, what is common in your area and what you want to end up with when you are done. My end goal is I want a restored truck that I think Ford should have built and I want it to look like Ford built it... so obviously anything but a Ford engine is out.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Oh well.......being from Louisiana.....I've got a Creole Ford......there's nothing black or white about it/it's it's own self....it just looks good/works hard/plays harder.....

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Oh my god I'm pulling my hair out here..

OP. Here are some periods, use them for future posts. Thank you. .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ford vs Chevy. Who the fawk cares? People use chevy motors because thats what they had, or thats what they know, or to be different.

When it all boils down, they are all the same. They all have cranks, rods, pistons...etc. Whoever can get the most fuel and air in and out of the motor the quickest, is going to make the most power. It doesnt matter if its a ford or chevy, they are all the fawking same. Some prefer Chevy. Some prefer Ford.

I would use a Ford one reason, the dizzy is in the front and is easier to get to.

droptopfox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
im loving the debate lol and hes right its all nuts bolts and metal ive built so many mustang motors i know what to excpect when i open them up i wont run a chevy that my choice i just was bored and wanted a heated debate to follow it just not that diffrent when everyone puts a chevy motor in a ford and i am so sicck of fiberglas hot rods with sbcs in them at least go big block or something that keeps people guessing my neighbor is building a 40s ford coupe with a twin cam 4.6 from a cobra with a carb on it now thats cool

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
I do get sick of seeing all the SBC repowered hotrods at car shows though, it is hardly hardly original at this point. Take an old Ford car chop the top, put in a 350 with a 700R4 trans and a Ford 9" in it, add paint and wheels of your choice and call it your "custom" hodrod... just like the other 20 cars in your class.
I totally agree. I cringe everytime I see a SBC in a Ford hotrod.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why is the comparison always between a 302 and a 350 not a 351W and a 350?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why is the comparison always between a 302 and a 350 not a 351W and a 350?
They never put 351W in normal production late model Mustangs, and they are not common in the earlier ones.

The GM 302 tore even the infamous the Boss 302 apart regularly back in the day in the Trans-Am circuit. The larger than a compact car later model Camaro didn't compare well packing a 305 with the near disposable Foxbody due to the weight difference, so in steps the 350 to make up the difference.

In a truck a 305 would tear a 302 apart, rather than destroke the 350 (like Ford essentially did with the 351) they debored it. Thus leaving the 305 with a lot more stroke for its displacement... almost the same amount of stroke as a 351W.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We are not talking about common here.A lot of camero's didn't come with 3fittys either but one was swapped in.
Like I said people always compare the Ford engine with almost 50 cubic inches less to the chevy motor with as I quote baddad "A 4 bolt main".
As far as common goes you can get a full roller 351W out of a F-250 van (and I know where at least 3 are at soon to be 2 because 1 is heading for my engine stand for a 427 stroker build I have in mind).

Every 305 I have driven was a dog on a short leash with 3 legs.Its just a short step up from the 307 witch should have been walked out into a field under a shade tree and shot in a Mercy killing.

Last edited:

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
I checked a huge Ford dealership in Omaha, they have one 2011 Mustang listed (a GT-500) with a picture coming soon, the other 26 new Mustangs are 2010's. Personally I think they released the stats on '11's too soon and are finding hard to move out the '10's.

https://www.woodhouse.com/results.htm?Make=Ford&New-Used=New&Model=Mustang&x=23&y=7
I started a new thread on 2011 Mustangs in the general discussion forum so we don't have to jack this thread.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80936

droptopfox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
no joke my 250+k miles 302 in a extra cab short bed f150 4x4 would blow the doors off my buddys tbi 350 reguler cab short bed truck 1500 4x4 so pretty much a 302 will tear a 305 a new one im a mechanic by day so ive driven probly 100 305 chebys and they all were wicked slow and wouldnt tow anything my 4.6 f150 will tow anything i hook to it but its pretty slow to each there own i dont know a proven upside to a chevy motor so ill stay ford

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Hold up here>>>>

Every 305 I have driven was a dog on a short leash with 3 legs.
I'm with ya on that one!

Its just a short step up from the 307 witch should have been walked out into a field under a shade tree and shot in a Mercy killing.
Wait a sec...........lets compare apples to apples here youngsters, the lil' 307 wasn't built for HP, but for economy. It made 200hp with 2bl, stock. Was used from 1968-1972, got in the 20+mpg range in a Camaro, Nova, and Chevelle and then was dropped for the lame duck 305 in 73.

Chat with some of the Sprint Car guys, as they used to use the 307's back then, bored them out to 312 cubes, they windup quick, turn high rpms, and as stated before/above, any SBC parts would interchange. And I have one stashed under my bench just for that reason/future build.

Just a lil' history lesson guys! Don't knock the smaller cubed Chevy motors, like the 283 that could be punched to 302 cubes and turn 10k and not even sneeze. I may be wrong, but I've never heard of any Ford motor that would turn those kinda R's................IMHO, the 283 & 327 were the BEST ENGINES Chevy ever built. 350's are just more available.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals