• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why trailer weight distribution matters

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Trailer sway demonstration

Hopefully that hotlink works. It's on Facebook, I couldn't find a copy on youtube. I couldn't get the window link to work for some reason.

Ah HA! Found one. However the guy has some anti-trailer nonsense at the end, but it does have essentially the full video above. But really though, do be careful about how you load things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not very scientific and your results may vary but when I tow with my F-150 (only thing I really tow with) I pull the tractor on the trailer until the truck is level, after 11 years of testing it is a pretty good rule of thumb.

And too far forward is about as goofy as too far back. :icon_thumby:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Very educational video

And as Mark Twain wrote, "Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unfortunately, no matter how many signs, videos, or tests a person has to take it won't fix stupid.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Unfortunately, no matter how many signs, videos, or tests a person has to take it won't fix stupid.
Exactly. Add to that safety features...those don't work very well either obviously or there wouldn't be any wrecks. You just plain cannot fix stupid people.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Exactly. Add to that safety features...those don't work very well either obviously or there wouldn't be any wrecks. You just plain cannot fix stupid people.
And if you are pulling a trailer and doing everything right, stupid people come out of the woodwork to do stupid crap around you.

I get passed way more often pulling a trailer (empty or loaded) on the same stretch of highway running the same speed as when I am driving just my truck. Usually sketchier passes too.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
And if you are pulling a trailer and doing everything right, stupid people come out of the woodwork to do stupid crap around you.

I get passed way more often pulling a trailer (empty or loaded) on the same stretch of highway running the same speed as when I am driving just my truck. Usually sketchier passes too.
Very true. Usually they pull out in front of you and cut you off, or merge over several lanes of traffic right in front of you to get off at an exit.

I've had cases where people plain cut you off, good thing for trailer brakes or several moron drivers would have pretty compact cars as a result of their lack of driving skills.

I'm not sure what it is about driving a full size truck with a heavy trailer that attracts the dumbest of drivers to flock around you and do the dumbest things but that is exactly what happens. Had a guy run into the back of my car trailer a while back. Claimed he couldn't see it. Not sure how you can't see a 7' x 23' trailer with a car loaded on it and add to that the numerous marker and other lights on it. Add to that it was in the middle of the day. People just plain don't pay attention. Its the same thing with people running into school buses how the f*** can you not see a yellow bus right in front of you. Then there's the idiots who run into semi-trucks, how in the world do you not see those things LOL.

I love the people who pass you on the highway and you end up right behind or right next to them at the next stop light...or in the case of winter, they pass you because you are driving slower due to conditions and you end up passing them a few miles up the road as they sit in the ditch...and no I don't stop...I point laugh and wave as I drive by.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How about this load...safe and secure? I took these pics just yesterday and a woman was driving it. Where I used to work I've seen shrink wrapped pallets come apart when moving them around on a forklift.

Last edited:

Bandit96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The worst part of this is, this person probably hauls stuff like this around all the time and never gets stopped or has the law bat an eye.. but you wrap chain slack with a bungee just once and you're getting hauled in for a level 1 :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals