• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why is this light trailer so hard to pull?

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Today I purchased an older 6 by 9 foot dual axle trailer. Although older I thought it was a good strong trailer for $500. I was actually even able to lift one side of the tires off the pavement so I could tell it was not that heavy. I paid the guy did the paperwork and off I went. Almost as soon as I took off his property I felt like I was towing a truck behind me :shok:. I got on the highway and it was horrible. I had my truck in forth gear and could not pass 100 km/hr floored :annoyed:. I could not understand this. Because I have towed my 16 foot boat (easily twice as heavy) with lots junk in the back of my truck and could cruise easily in 5th with no problems :headbang:.
When I got home I did notice the tires were at about 20 psi but i find it hard to believe some soft tires could make this trailer feel like pulling another truck behind me.
The trailer did have a 7 foot high mesh ramp that I wonder if it was causing some drag but it is mesh so it should not make much a difference I would think.
Any ideas why a 400 lb trailer feels like 3000 lbs on the road :dunno:? I looked underneath the trailer and both axles appear to be aligned. I don't understand this

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The mesh ramp is the culprit. It's a giant sail, despite being full of holes.

I have a relatively new 5x10 with a mesh ramp, and when I remove the ramp, it pulls MUCH easier on the highway. And my bearings and tires are perfect.

Mine looks just like this one.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
×2.

Mesh isn't as "porous" as you would think...

I had a roof rack with a mesh (expanded metal) floor on my Ranger for maybe a year or so. After switching from the mesh floor to one made of square tubing spaced about 4", I picked up almost 2 MPG (the mesh was trapping the air as it came up from the top of the windshield).

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also check the wiring to the brakes and that the brakes are not dragging.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you check to see if the hubs were getting warm or hot? If you dont know if the bearings have been packed with grease now would be the time to clean the bearings and races and get new seals if the rubber is hard. I`m sure tire pressure had some to do with it as well.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my vote is for bearings/brake issue, but the tailgate could be a possibility...

try it with the tail gate off?

Napabandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We had a dual axle trailer on the farm that went from nearly invisible while towing to acting like an anchor. The axles were out of alignment. Tires scrubbed off pretty quickly too. I agree with checking the axle bearings and airing up the tires too. Trailer tires also tow easier than car tires on a trailer too.

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:yahoo:I took the mesh ramp off and that was the culprit. I can't believe what a difference removing a mesh tail gate made. With it on I could barely make 100 km/hr floored in 4 th. I took it on the highway and could cruise easily at a 100km\hr in 5th. Actually I went up to 130 and was satisfied but could have went faster if I wanted.
veefer800canuck was right. even though its mesh it felt like dragging a parachute behind my truck.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a car trailer with fold up ramps with expanded steel on them (about 6' from ground to the end when up), when up and the trailer is empty it takes more power to go 55mph than it does with a car on it... it's even noticeable with the F350 with 7.3L Powerstroke

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Yep, I've pulled those before with the expanded steel tailgate/ramps on them. They are bears to pull. It's the frontal area and the wind coming off the truck focuses on the ramp. It's a killer.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:yahoo:I took the mesh ramp off and that was the culprit. I can't believe what a difference removing a mesh tail gate made. With it on I could barely make 100 km/hr floored in 4 th. I took it on the highway and could cruise easily at a 100km\hr in 5th. Actually I went up to 130 and was satisfied but could have went faster if I wanted.
veefer800canuck was right. even though its mesh it felt like dragging a parachute behind my truck.

Glad you got it figured out. It's really counter-intuitive. You look at the ramp and think, man it's full of holes! How could it be that hard to pass air through it??

Anyhow, they're still really useful, I love mine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals