• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why is nobody open to new things.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
OK, im sure we have all heard the Mac vs PC things.

Ill shoot out a little info i have found, and share what i think.

When i grew up, all we used was a dell pc. that thing was SLOW. but they were like that. I used to HATE mac. couldnt stand how the system worked.

What really turned me onto the computer system was a few things like, everything is made in house, their customer service is the best ive ever seen(i work in sales, cutomers service is my middle name) i love the fact they arent all made with plastic and the fact that they dont slow down with age.

the best way i can describe it, is wondows os opens up programs and runs them great. the trouble is it doesnt shut down everything the program opened, when you hit close.

thats what i couldnt stand.

now my question isnt whos better, or which one do you prefer.

my question is, Why arent people open to see new things? I can tell mac is dominating the market by the fact that PC has come down in price to try and compete. plus if you see a comercial today, its probable going to have a mac in it.

Whats your guys thought on the subject?

and no pc Vs Mac battles. youtube is the home of those arguments!

also, why hasnt windows fixed the problem of slowing down over time? im right now on a pc thats from 2007, and its dying very badly. yet my macbook from the same year is as fast as a new one. :icon_confused:

and dont tell me im not computer savy, i used to write software, and my father is a head IT for a mojor oil company here in canada.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
For the most part, it's a comfort zone thing. Windows hasn't changed that much over the years that you can't still find your way around. People like that.

I get on my brothers Mac, and I feel like I'm driving a Chevy. I just don't care for the layout, and quite frankly don't care to learn. I just want back on my computer, where I know everything is at, etc. My brother and I make jabs back and forth about which one is better, but all in all they are both very capable of handling everyday tasks.

Oh, and your comment about windows slowing down..... I work on computers on the side. Whenever someone tells me their computer is running slow, it's not a Microsoft issue, it's a "I clicked OK on too much shit just to get the popup out of the way" kind of thing. So, I don't blame Microsoft, I blame the user.

Last edited:

FFGlen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've noticed that it's typically a PEBCAK. The problem always seems to exist between the chair and keyboard.

But, honestly, I've used both, and I can operate fine on both. PCs are coming down in price - so true! And so, I own a PC, because I can afford to own a PC. When a Mac costs only 300 bucks, I'll be buying a Mac. Til then, Windows has got my back.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Old people don't like change, things get too complicated. Indoor plumbing was a good idea though.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Old people don't like change, things get too complicated. Indoor plumbing was a good idea though.
true to that.

and to the other guys, i hear ya. My pc is a work computer, and i just saved its life 3 weeks ago. used to take 15 min to boot. now it takes 3.

im just used to my mac that takes 30 seconds to boot, and 5 seconds to shut off.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My family has always owned PCs except for the old Apple IIe computer we bought in the late 80's. The only plus side i see to macs is they practically never get viruses. For what they are they cost to much, I can get a pc that is comparable if not better than an Imac for half the price. You are basically paying for the name at that point, which you can also do with pcs, Sony computer are just like all the other pcs but cost a lot more.

Macs also change to much (same for the hole apple brand in general), not to long ago they switched from i think in house processors to Intel. That meant anything running the in house processors from apple were basically made obsolete because you could not install the newest version of OSX (i think they switched in the middle of the OSX software). Where as with a pc, you can install vista on a pc that was running windows 95, you just have to up the ram and processor speed.

I guess it just depends on what you grew up on. I grew up on pcs and have no intention of switching to a Mac. :icon_thumby:

I have an old

true to that.

and to the other guys, i hear ya. My pc is a work computer, and i just saved its life 3 weeks ago. used to take 15 min to boot. now it takes 3.

im just used to my mac that takes 30 seconds to boot, and 5 seconds to shut off.
To add to this, i use to have to use a G5 in my Newspaper class in high school, i can tell you it took a lot longer than 30 sec to boot one up, more like a couple of minutes, and shut down was no better.

Last edited:

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i grew up on PC's.

i now have a MacBook Pro. the OS makes sense and is really easy to use. i like it much better than a windows OS.

I will not buy a windows based computer again.

or even a desk top computer for that matter.

i hate using my buddies' windows computers/laptops. my mom and sister has a new windows laptop and i cant stand having to use it to do anything. my dad has a NICE desktop and i'd rather use my MacBook. My girlfriend and i are the only two people out of our family and friends that have macs. some say price is what turns them away but it's well worth it IMO. my mac is 2 years old and still goin great

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i grew up on PC's.

i now have a MacBook Pro. the OS makes sense and is really easy to use. i like it much better than a windows OS.

I will not buy a windows based computer again.

or even a desk top computer for that matter.

i hate using my buddies' windows computers/laptops. my mom and sister has a new windows laptop and i cant stand having to use it to do anything. my dad has a NICE desktop and i'd rather use my MacBook. My girlfriend and i are the only two people out of our family and friends that have macs. some say price is what turns them away but it's well worth it IMO. my mac is 2 years old and still goin great
i agree. i kinda think of it this way.

both get the job done,

but..

Windows is Rough Country, Fabtech

Mac is Camburg.

lol dont hate me :icon_twisted:

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've always been on PC... I'm thinking about crossing over to a Mac laptop.

Sent from your moms house using Tapatalk

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Old people don't like what? I know what you are saying, quite a few younger than me don't have any type of computer at home, say they get enough of it at work. Look at all the fun they are missing out on! I was over 60 when I taught myself to draw in 3-D on the computer using AutoCad. Never used a MAC, alway a PC based unit due to the engineering work I do. Each system has it's good and bad sides. I pick up quite a bit of change being able to work from home. Usually build up some part over the Winter.
Dave of the Nord

Pressure plate still needs to be finished!

Power Trax No-Slip

Last edited:

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I choose PC's for a few reasons.

First reason is price. I can custom build my desktop for 700 to 1000 dollars, a comparable Mac would cost me 3300 dollars. I can build 3 or 4 PC's for the price of one Mac. Now on to laptops I just bought a new Asus for 450, and my ex paid 3700 for her Mac book.

Second is OS. Like most I grew up with PC's they are what I know and am comfortable with. When I was in college I took a class in digital graphic design and it was all taught on Macs. I couldn't get used to them no matter what I did, it took me twice as long to do things and was really frustrating.

PC's don't necessarily have to run windows either. Linux is a viable option for more experienced users.

I have used both and for day to day use I prefer a PC.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
my question is, Why arent people open to see new things? I can tell mac is dominating the market by the fact that PC has come down in price to try and compete. plus if you see a comercial today, its probable going to have a mac in it.
First off MAC is far from dominating the market as far as I know, their sales are picking up but dominating would be well over half of the computer sales which it doesn't hold. PC's don't have to lower price to compete, they are already cheaper, the prices are dropping like they always have as it becomes cheaper to manufacture the components. And the part about the commercials, you realize Apple more than likely pays to have the MACs in commercials for advertizement.

also, why hasnt windows fixed the problem of slowing down over time? im right now on a pc thats from 2007, and its dying very badly. yet my macbook from the same year is as fast as a new one. :icon_confused:
I've yet to have any issues with Windows slowing down over time after XP aside from user created issues which isn't Microsoft's fault.

Me personally I will probably always be a PC guy mostly because the main use my desktop has is gaming and that is a PC dominated market, and I build my own.

Honestly I'd give a a MAC a shot if they had a price competitive laptop as a MAC won't fit my desktop needs.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't like Macs for a few reasons.

I, like Jay, like to build my computers and use them for gaming. I also like to be able to repair my units, on my own. And they are so darn expensive.

Mac makes a good system, and they have a great OS. It's very stable for the exact reason that Windows is generally considered "unstable". You can't screw with stuff in Mac OS like you can in Windows. And the stuff you can screw with in Windows is what makes it go wonky.

Windows is the target of viruses because it is widely used. Mac OS is not immune to viruses, people just don't bother to write them for it because there aren't enough users.

I like to tease my mom and sister with my Dell. They have both had weeks of down time on their Mac laptops due to bad CD drives, because you have to send it out to get the drive replaced. I can pop mine out in about 30 seconds if I take my time.

End of the story, Mac makes a good product but they don't compete on price, they expect people will pay 3x more for it just because it has slightly better quality, and they function mostly in a niche market. I'd probably get one, but they don't do what I want.

Oh, and regularly maintaining your PC will keep it from slowing down. Clear your cookies, clean your hard drive, restart it, and defrag the drive every so often. It will keep it's speed.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've used both...used to be very different but now they are actually pretty similar...they both function depending on the end user and that's about how they should work...if they're too complex for the end user then someone is going to make some money showing them how to use it or they will revert to getting their info the old way...carrier pigeons have gone down considerably in the last few years...

I prefer PC's simply because I'm more familiar with them...used to be years ago that most Mac users were snobby prissy types who did graphic art work or photo editing...now some of those have migrated because Apple kept changing their OS and they got fed up with being obsolete...hey, just like Microsoft...

Eventually we will all be using something generic that doesn't even have a brand name because when the communists take over...lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals