• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why does my cam synchro keep going bad, and where do I find a good one?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I hear the squeak, and tell myself its a pulley, or maybe the belt. But I know what it is...that random, ear piercing chirp is undeniable. At least this time there's no CEL. This will be my 3rd time swapping it. yes I followed procedure, and oiled the gear good before dropping in.

The first time I swapped it, terrified and cautiously, my only option besides a Dorman, was some random company with good reviews on fleabay. It was spendy enough and had a warranty. It lasted about 300 miles. I didn't care to warranty another

The second time was a NOS Motorcraft unit I tracked down on fleabay again. I didnt wanna peel off my fresh and luckily sealed lower intake gasket job, so I managed to finagle it with only the top half of the intake removed. It killed the CEL and passed SMOG check.

I am really surprised this went bad after about 1500 miles. I posted about it previously, and @Dirtman suggested knock off Motorcraft does exist, which it may very well have been...

I need a good unit. is there a cross reference or compatibility or something to the discontinued unit for my year? I would like to purchase a cam synchro from my local Ford dealer, at least one that is not aftermarket or old or used. Willing to do conversion if possible and not too destructive.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Maybe it would be a good idea to try and find a good used ford part. If you wernt in commifornia I'd suggest switching ecu to a non carb and just delete the synchronizer

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Another thought since they are poorly oiled to start with, what does your oil pressure look like, or perhapse working at decreased volume there for burning up the bearings

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Search the site, somewhere on here was a post or tech article about how to improve oil flow to the synchro. If I recall you drilled something out a bit? But like @ThatOneGuy said check oil pressure too because as he said if it starts dropping the synchro would be first to feel the effect.

But it's not a part you want to delete, even though it technically was originally a C.A.R.B requirement for CA vehicles, it's not one of those things that was useless crap. Having a crank and cam sensor doubles the feedback for timing information which has a real world effect not only on emissions but on engine performance and efficiency. So while it's not 100% necessary, it's not just some dumb emissions gizmo.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Another thought since they are poorly oiled to start with, what does your oil pressure look like, or perhapse working at decreased volume there for burning up the bearings
Seems fine, but that's not a bad idea, I'll monitor it a lil more now...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Search the site, somewhere on here was a post or tech article about how to improve oil flow to the synchro. If I recall you drilled something out a bit? But like @ThatOneGuy said check oil pressure too because as he said if it starts dropping the synchro would be first to feel the effect.

But it's not a part you want to delete, even though it technically was originally a C.A.R.B requirement for CA vehicles, it's not one of those things that was useless crap. Having a crank and cam sensor doubles the feedback for timing information which has a real world effect not only on emissions but on engine performance and efficiency. So while it's not 100% necessary, it's not just some dumb emissions gizmo.
Sweet I'll check it out thanks

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Maybe it would be a good idea to try and find a good used ford part. If you wernt in commifornia I'd suggest switching ecu to a non carb and just delete the synchronizer
If I wasn't in Commofornia I'd do a 302 swap. I like V8s. But can't have fun like that here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals